[comp.sys.intel] 8751s, programming and erasing questions

milbouma@eplrx7.uucp (Mark Milbourne SCD) (01/01/91)

I know most of the discussion in this newsgroup is about 80x86 and i860,
but I need some info about the 8751, (if anyone uses them anymore).

I have developed an 8051 application using Intel's evalution board
EV8xC51FB and am now about to move the code into a standalone setup for actual
use.  I'm doing this as a hobby and this is the first time I've done this.

Do I have to do anything besides move the address origins back to 0000 address
area from 4000 (hex)?  I have a friend with an EPROM burner that does the 51
family.  I'm assuming that all I have to do is recompile my code with the
normal addressing and the burner software will just take the hex object
file and blow it into the chip.  My friend hasn't done 51s before with his
burner, but the literature indicates that it supports the 51.

Also, I'm using the P-87C51FA-1 (16MHz version in plastic case).  This is
the first time I've seen the plastic version (I'm too poor for the
ceramic).  I'm confused by the seemingly all-opaque case.  Where's the
little "window" for the UV to shine into to erase it?  I've only got 5 of
the things and I know I'm going to be updating the application, hence I
will be erasing and resuing some of them eventually.

Any help on these specific issues would be appreciated as well as any other
general pointers that come from practical experience.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year
	Mark Milbourne

Please reply by e-mail unless you think this is of general interest.
Use either the address in the header or milbouma%esvax@dupont.com
--
The UUCP Mailer

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.205254.4929@eplrx7.uucp> milbouma@eplrx7.uucp (Mark Milbourne SCD) writes:
>Also, I'm using the P-87C51FA-1 (16MHz version in plastic case).  This is
>the first time I've seen the plastic version (I'm too poor for the
>ceramic).  I'm confused by the seemingly all-opaque case.  Where's the
>little "window" for the UV to shine into to erase it?  I've only got 5 of

Ummm .... hate to tell you this but ....

If it's in a plastic case, the device has a "one shot" EPROM. The only
way for you to erase it would be to drill out your own window <g>.
That's why the plastic devices are cheaper.

--
l\  /l '     _    Mike Schuster          ...!cmcl2!panix!schuster
l \/ l l l/ (_    NY Public Access       CIS:70346,1745