[comp.sys.intel] i196KC

laurits@itk.unit.no (Ottar L. Osen) (01/26/91)

I am a student, and in my projekt I am planning to use a 80196KC
microcontroller from Intel.

Have any of you any expirience with it??

Does it exist any Public Domain assembley / C kompilers ??

Does anyone have an design example hardware / software ??

Are there any good books/manuals ??

So long and thanks for all the fish. (D.Adams)

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan25.162403.19255@ugle.unit.no> laurits@itk.unit.no (Ottar L. Osen) writes:
>I am a student, and in my projekt I am planning to use a 80196KC
>microcontroller from Intel.
>
>Have any of you any expirience with it??
>
>Does it exist any Public Domain assembley / C kompilers ??
>
>Does anyone have an design example hardware / software ??
>
>Are there any good books/manuals ??

I have designed a number of small embedded systems with the 196KB and KC.
I prefer the KC because of the additional 256 bytes immediately after the
first 256 byte area in page 0. I would _strongly_ suggest you strap the
196KC for 8-bit external operations. You'll find it easier to design the
external memory architecture, and you can use 32Kbyte EPROM and 32Kbyte
SRAMS (typical prices for 32K EPROMs are $10, and $12 for the 32K SRAMS).

I have not seen any public domain 96/196 assemblers or C compilers that
I'd care to write about. The two commercial packages I have used are
the Intel tool kit (assembler, C compiler, linker) and the Archimedes
tool kit (assembler, C compiler, linker). These are expensive (> $1000US),
and quite frankly, lacking for what you pay. I use Archimedes as the lesser
of two evils.

The best place to look for example software hardware design is Intel's own
bulletin board, "Intel uController BBS" at 1-602-554-8167 and -8168. You'll
find many basic code examples and diagnostic routines, and several interesting
design examples, including a data logging system for a race car that wrote
it's results to Intel's FLASH EPROM memory. That file comes complete with
Orcad schematics.

The best books come from Intel. Get Intel's "16-Bit Embedded Controllers"
270646-002. There is a hard-back textbook, "Design with Microcontrollers"
by John B. Peatman and published by McGraw-Hill, that has a complete
appendix on the 8096 ( _not_ 196 ) microcontroller. You should read this
as your starter. You can get a copy of the appendix from Intel by calling
and asking for 270623-001. You'll find it quite useful; just keep in mind
that timings will be difference because the 8096 has 3 clocks per T state
and the 80C196 has 2.

Oh yes, I just remembered, you can check out 2500 AD, which sells cross
assemblers for PCs. Their prices run $200US - $300US for assembler/linker
combination.