[comp.sys.intel] i960SB Help Wanted

u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) (04/10/91)

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody had any comments or hints about using one of
these 80960 uP.  We hope to use one of these (SB) in a small image
processing type of unit, utilising its FPU and around 5Mips of speed.
Any tips on the hardware design or problems ?
Ditto for software development.
Does anyone have or know about a PD/Shareware assembler or C compiler
for it ? The chip costs just $A60, so we aren't going to pay the $960
for the Assembler.
Otherwise I'll have to write one.

Thanks a lot, Mike
--
| Michael Harlow          |  u855203@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au             |
| GPO Box 1201,           |  u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au          |

dcarr@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Dave Carr) (04/11/91)

In <u855203.671296459@probitas> u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) writes:

>Does anyone have or know about a PD/Shareware assembler or C compiler
>for it ? The chip costs just $A60, so we aren't going to pay the $960
>for the Assembler.

The GNU960 package is quite good for the 80960 family.
There is a nominal fee ($150) for distribution of the software.
The 1.2 release we have supports the KA,KB,CA, and MC processors.
We are expecting 1.3 beta this week.  It may have switches for the
SA and SB as well ??

I assume you are thinking about the iC960 and ASM960 from Intel.
Personally, I think the GNU package produces much better code,