[comp.sys.intel] New supercomputer

young@cs.widener.edu (Rob Young) (06/02/91)

Hello,
	Did anyone catch the segment on CNBC (I think formerly FNN) on
	television Saturday morning?  Caught the tail-end of a story
	about Intel's new Supercomputer. THE "Worlds fastest" super
	computer.  What speeds are we talking about as compared to
	the connection machine etc?  It is a 512 processor machine
	, a DARPA collaboration of 12 Universities . . . Anyone have
	more details??  Thanks.
--
  Rob Young    					young@tattoo.cs.widener.edu
    It is considered awkward to use seriously such words as good and evil.

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (06/02/91)

young@cs.widener.edu (Rob Young) writes:
>	Did anyone catch the segment on CNBC (I think formerly FNN) on
>	television Saturday morning?  Caught the tail-end of a story
>	about Intel's new Supercomputer. THE "Worlds fastest" super
>	computer.  What speeds are we talking about as compared to
>	the connection machine etc?  It is a 512 processor machine
>	, a DARPA collaboration of 12 Universities . . . Anyone have
>	more details??  Thanks.

There was an article in yesterday's (Saturday's) Columbus Dispatch.
It showed a photo of Intel's head hardware engineer doing some last
minute tinkering on it before it was to be unveiled at some meeting.
I don't have the paper with me, but I do remember that the computer
could do well over 8 BILLION instructions per second.  That's over
1000 times as fast as my 386-33!

hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun2.153238.24866@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) writes:
|> young@cs.widener.edu (Rob Young) writes:
|> >	Did anyone catch the segment on CNBC (I think formerly FNN) on
|> >	television Saturday morning?  Caught the tail-end of a story
|> >	about Intel's new Supercomputer. THE "Worlds fastest" super
|> >	computer.  What speeds are we talking about as compared to
|> >	the connection machine etc?  It is a 512 processor machine
|> >	, a DARPA collaboration of 12 Universities . . . Anyone have
|> >	more details??  Thanks.
|>
|> There was an article in yesterday's (Saturday's) Columbus Dispatch.
|> It showed a photo of Intel's head hardware engineer doing some last
|> minute tinkering on it before it was to be unveiled at some meeting.
|> I don't have the paper with me, but I do remember that the computer
|> could do well over 8 BILLION instructions per second.  That's over
|> 1000 times as fast as my 386-33!

8.6 GigaFLOPS + 17 billion integer instructions per second,
so it's actually more like 2000 - 3000 times faster than your 386-33.

--
Kirk Hays - NRA Life.
Message for Timothy Fay - "Do not eat/wear/exploit things you will not kill."

hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) (06/05/91)

In article <1382@ssdintel.isc.intel.com>, hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) writes:
[about the Delta Touchstone system]
|> 8.6 GigaFLOPS + 17 billion integer instructions per second,
|> so it's actually more like 2000 - 3000 times faster than your 386-33.

Oops - that's what I get for posting early Sunday.

it's 32 GigaFlops + 17 billion integer IPS, for a total of 49 GIPS, which
is > 6000 times faster than the 386-33.

Of course, those are peak rates, guaranteed-not-to-exceed.

--

izahi@leland.Stanford.EDU (Raul Izahi Lopez Hernandez) (06/06/91)

In article <1386@ssdintel.isc.intel.com> hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) writes:
>it's 32 GigaFlops + 17 billion integer IPS, for a total of 49 GIPS, which
>is > 6000 times faster than the 386-33.

   I don't think it is fair to make such comparison.
   Can you mention an application that runs routinely both in the 386-33 and
in the Delta?
   Applications that benefit from being run in supercomputers are never run
in a PC (be it 386-33 or not), since the PC does not have similar memory or
I/O resources.
   It is irrelevant to say that your LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheet would recalculate
3000 or 6000 times faster since it would not be noticeable beyond 10 or 20
times faster, because the spreadsheet is not big enough to even tax the
abilities or the new 386-33 or 486 based PCs in any business or home
application, while in engineering or the sciences serious researchers use
RISC based workstations.
					RAUL IZAHI
					izahi@nova.stanford.edu

hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.185850.988@leland.Stanford.EDU>, izahi@leland.Stanford.EDU (Raul Izahi Lopez Hernandez) writes:
|> In article <1386@ssdintel.isc.intel.com> hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) writes:
|> >it's 32 GigaFlops + 17 billion integer IPS, for a total of 49 GIPS, which
|> >is > 6000 times faster than the 386-33.
|>
|>    I don't think it is fair to make such comparison.

Lighten up, Raul - I didn't make the original comparison - some person at Ohio
State did.

I was correcting my original incorrect correction of *his* comparison in the
above message.

For the record, I believe it is a somewhat silly exercise to compare PCs to
supercomputers, too.  On the other hand, it is interesting to see how large the
span of available computational power remains.

|>    Can you mention an application that runs routinely both in the 386-33 and
|> in the Delta?

An application?  Not without naming a customer, which I won't do.

However, PERFECT club, SPECmarks, linpack, and many other benchmarks certainly
will, which indicates that many scientific/business applications could.

The ORACLE database runs on PCs, and one of our competition, nCube, is porting
ORACLE to their machine, as reported in the trade press.

|>    Applications that benefit from being run in supercomputers are never run
|> in a PC (be it 386-33 or not), since the PC does not have similar memory or
|> I/O resources.

This is not true - I am aware of customer codes that run on our machines, which
are supercomputers, and that are also run on minicomputers, workstations, and
PCs, as well.

The supercomputer allows you to handle a larger problem set, perform more
detailed analysis on the data, and/or do the calculations in much less time than
would be required on a smaller/slower machine.

This is why they exist.

But their existance doesn't automatically mean that an application can *only* run
on such a machine, just as the existence of Formula One race cars does not preclude the use of a Hyundai for commuting.

|>    It is irrelevant to say that your LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheet would recalculate
|> 3000 or 6000 times faster since it would not be noticeable beyond 10 or 20
|> times faster, because the spreadsheet is not big enough to even tax the
|> abilities or[sic] the new 386-33 or 486 based PCs in any business or home
|> application, while in engineering or the sciences serious researchers use
|> RISC based workstations.

Nice strawman.  Because you can't imagine an application that spans three or four
orders of magnitude in performance requirements, it must not exist.

Business applications use supercomputers routinely today, and have for at least a
decade.

*Serious* researchers use supercomputers, and have for at least three decades.
Workstations are for software development, reading netnews, and running X and
EMACS. :^)

[Ever known any *goofy* researchers?]

--

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.185850.988@leland.Stanford.EDU> izahi@leland.Stanford.EDU (Raul Izahi Lopez Hernandez) writes:
>   Can you mention an application that runs routinely both in the 386-33 and
>in the Delta?

	Sure. I bet csh has been ported to the Delta. They at least have a
csh workalike, for sure.

>   Applications that benefit from being run in supercomputers are never run
>in a PC (be it 386-33 or not), since the PC does not have similar memory or
>I/O resources.

	Untrue. I know lots of guys up here who are doing serious (albeit
laughable) numerical analysis on PCs, because they can't afford anything
bigger. Sure they could get results a lot faster on a Touchstone Delta.
They'd also be able to do much more elaborate things than they're doing.
But supercomputers (even Intel's, which are a bargain) aren't cheap.

>   It is irrelevant to say that your LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheet would recalculate
>3000 or 6000 times faster since it would not be noticeable beyond 10 or 20
>times faster, because the spreadsheet is not big enough to even tax the
>abilities or the new 386-33 or 486 based PCs in any business or home
>application, while in engineering or the sciences serious researchers use
>RISC based workstations.

	Well, maybe they do at Stanford. But I'm here to tell you that there
are a lot of serious researchers doing serious work on 386 PCs, on 286 PCs,
on anything they can get their hands on. I'm editing this on a 386/25 which
is the envy of everyone in an elite engineering group at one of the largest
corporations in America. Hell, even this is a step up. Four years ago I
was doing my engineering computing under CP/M.

	When Lotus gets around to porting 1-2-3 to Touchstone Delta, I for
one will have a job to use it on...

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"...and of their daughters it is written, 'Cursed be he who lies with
any manner of animal.'" - Talmud

tmcconne@berger.intel.com (Tom McConnell) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.185850.988@leland.Stanford.EDU>, izahi@leland.Stanford.EDU (Raul Izahi Lopez Hernandez) writes:
> In article <1386@ssdintel.isc.intel.com> hays@iSC.intel.com (Kirk Hays) writes:
> >it's 32 GigaFlops + 17 billion integer IPS, for a total of 49 GIPS, which
> >is > 6000 times faster than the 386-33.
>
>    I don't think it is fair to make such comparison.
>    Can you mention an application that runs routinely both in the 386-33 and
> in the Delta?
>    Applications that benefit from being run in supercomputers are never run
> in a PC (be it 386-33 or not), since the PC does not have similar memory or
> I/O resources.
>    It is irrelevant to say that your LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheet would recalculate
> 3000 or 6000 times faster since it would not be noticeable beyond 10 or 20
> times faster, because the spreadsheet is not big enough to even tax the
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> abilities or the new 386-33 or 486 based PCs in any business or home
> application, while in engineering or the sciences serious researchers use
> RISC based workstations.
> 					RAUL IZAHI
> 					izahi@nova.stanford.edu

	Raul,

	One of the largest uses of computers in the world is transaction
processing and financial analysis, both in the business world. When
doing a financial analysis, which may well be in the form of a
spreadsheet, you would more than tax the abilities of most PC's.

	Various financial firms have invested a great deal of money in
supercomputers just for financial problems. At the same time it is not
uncommon for smaller financial companies, or the finance department of
some corporations, to use PC's for their financial stuff.

	IMHO, the needs of the user always outgrow the available
resources ;-).

- Tom
--
 Tom McConnell          |     Internet: tmcconne@sedona.intel.com
 Intel, Corp. C3-21     |     Phone: (602)-554-8229