[comp.unix.xenix] compress program on SCO Xenix

lew@gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) (03/06/87)

Question:	Anyone installed compress on SCO Xenix yet?

Problem:	Compress is not doing anything, it runs but terminated
		with the file unchanged.  There are some #ifdef M_XENIX
		in the code but it may not be tested.

Environment:	IBM-PC/AT runs SCO Xenix version 2.1.3
		compress version 4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00 joe Release

Build History:	$ cc -s -o compress compress.c
		/bin/ld: Common area longer than 65535 bytes

		$ cc -Ml -s -o compress compress.c    #use large model
		$ ln compress uncompress
		$ ln compress zcat
		There was no error in any of the above 3 steps.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/08/87)

:
:Problem:	Compress is not doing anything, it runs but terminated
:		with the file unchanged.  There are some #ifdef M_XENIX
:		in the code but it may not be tested.

I have both 12 bit (small model) and 16 bit (large model with M_XENIX).
The large model compress chokes on some files (as does a version compiled
under MicroPort), but seems to uncompress 16 bit news feeds OK.  Be careful
of Microsoft "unsigned" right shifts that aren't unsigned.

jl42#@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (03/10/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.unix.xenix@andrew.cmu.edu

CC:

I have compress running (for 12 bit only) on my PC/AT with SCO Xenix
system V/286 v2.1.3. If anyone wants it, I can mail or post sources.
-Jay Libove
-jl42@andrew.cmu.edu
-jl42@cmuccvma.bitnet

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (03/10/87)

In article <198@gsg.UUCP> lew@gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) writes:
>Question:	Anyone installed compress on SCO Xenix yet?

Yes

>Problem:	Compress is not doing anything, it runs but terminated
>		with the file unchanged.  There are some #ifdef M_XENIX
>		in the code but it may not be tested.

>Environment:	IBM-PC/AT runs SCO Xenix version 2.1.3
>		compress version 4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00 joe Release
>
>Build History:	$ cc -s -o compress compress.c
>		/bin/ld: Common area longer than 65535 bytes
>
>		$ cc -Ml -s -o compress compress.c    #use large model
>		$ ln compress uncompress
>		$ ln compress zcat
>		There was no error in any of the above 3 steps.

If you want the distributed version of compress to compile without error

     $ cc -Dpcxt -ocompress compress.c

This will give you a working version of compress, unfortunately it will
only have the capability of handling 12-bit compression.

I have a version of compress that I hacked to work with 16-bit compression.
If there is sufficient interest, I can post this.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (03/10/87)

In article <488@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>In article <198@gsg.UUCP> lew@gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) writes:
>:Question:	Anyone installed compress on SCO Xenix yet?
>:
>I have both 12 bit (small model) and 16 bit (large model with M_XENIX).
>The large model compress chokes on some files (as does a version compiled
>under MicroPort), but seems to uncompress 16 bit news feeds OK.  Be careful
>of Microsoft "unsigned" right shifts that aren't unsigned.

I have the full functionality of compress working on SCO. I got
the fixes from someone on the net, I think at SCO. I would be
willing to mail to a few people, but my mailer get upset if I
mail too much, and I might have to post it or put it on my BBS.
It's in small model with huge extensions. Source is ~40K without
the atob, etc, which comes with the package as posted.

NOTE: I doubt like hell that this version will run under any
other version.
--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/16/87)

In article <1279@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
:I have the full functionality of compress working on SCO. I got
:the fixes from someone on the net, I think at SCO. I would be
:willing to mail to a few people, but my mailer get upset if I
:mail too much, and I might have to post it or put it on my BBS.
:It's in small model with huge extensions. Source is ~40K without
:the atob, etc, which comes with the package as posted.

Sorry to post this, but the return path from here is quite unlikely to work.

Why not post it to this group, or mail it to me, and I can check it on
the one file I have that chokes the current large model compress.  I think
the problem arises when trying to compress binary files.  Try to compress
a copy of /xenix, then uncompress it to see if 1) something core dumps 2)
the resulting file is modified.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  Voice: 503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly