[comp.unix.xenix] NROFF/TROFF Diversions

deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (04/18/87)

I have an urgent yet probably a minor problem to
resolve.  It deals with diversions under
nroff/troff.
The register "dn" as I know gives the number
of lines since last diversion, however in my
case it comes up with a number of 320 for nroff
and 400 for troff, instead of 9 as the following
example shows.  Follows the input text:
-------------------input text------------------------
.sp 4
.nf
.ll 30
.po 3

.de TM
.ti +19
Copyright Courseware Technologies Inc., 1986
..

.de MP
.wh -26 PM
..

.de PM
.sp 1
..

.de SE
.sp 10
..

.de ED
\l'2.0i'
..

.de MP
.wh -26 PM
..

.de PM
.sp 1
..

.de EP
.wh -2 PE
..

.nr SP 0
.nr S1 0
.nr S2 0

.de KS
.br
.ev 1
.nr dn 0
.nf
.di XX
..

.de KE
.br
.di
.nr SP 18-\\n(dn
.nr S1 \\n(SP/2
.nr S2 (\\n(SP-\\n(S1)
.if \\n(dn>=\\(.t .bp
#.sp \\n(SP
#.sp \\n(S1
.XX
#.sp \\n(S2
#.sp \\n(dn
.ev
..

.de PE
.tl : Copyright Courseware Technologies Inc. 1987,          Page  1 - %:
.bp
..

.EP
.MP

System Administrator                                                             2-0
.TS
box expand;
a.
TOPICS TO LEARN
_
.KS

1    -     The Hierarchical File System

2    -     UNIX File Types

3    -     File Ownership

4    -     File Protection and How To Change it
.KE
.TE

System Administrator                                  			  2-1.1
.TS
box expand;
a.
HIERARCHICAL FILE SYSTEM
_

\(bx         The UNIX file system is a uniform
           set of directories and files
           arranged in a tree-like,
           hierarchical structure.

\(bx         The files are grouped into
           directories and the directories
           organized into a hierarchy.

\(bx         The top of the hierarchy is a
           special directory called root ,
           with a pathname of / .

\(*x         A pathname is the complete
           name of a directory or a file.
\(*x         A pathname traces the path through
           the file system to the desired file.
.TE

------------------------------- follows the output -------------------

   System Administrator                                                             2-0
8   _________________________________________________
                   TOPICS TO LEARN
8   _________________________________________________
   #.sp -302
   #.sp -151

    1    -     The Hierarchical File System

    2    -     UNIX File Types

    3    -     File Ownership

    4    -     File Protection and How To Change it
   #.sp -151
   #.sp 320
8   _________________________________________________

What should I do go get the right number for the register
"dn", or how would I center "vertically" (not with .ce)
text on a page of a limited length, e.g.

On a page of .pl 40, a text of 25 lines, i.e.

what macros should I use to get 7/8 blanks in front
of the text and 7/8 lines after.

Your time and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Michael Deutsch

richl@penguin.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <187@jplcwp.UUCP> deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (Michael Deutsch) writes:

> The register "dn" as I know gives the number
> of lines since last diversion, however in my
> case it comes up with a number of 320 for nroff
> and 400 for troff, instead of 9 as the following
> example shows.

The documentation says that "dn" is only valid AFTER a diversion; I'm
not sure if that's what you mean. (It may be valid during, but I'm not
sure if you can count on it.) But one thing I *am* sure about is its
units are the "basic units", not the number of lines. That is, in troff,
your lines are 400 units high, and in nroff they are 320. I haven't tried,
but you can probably get number of lines by dividing dn by .v.

Rick