[comp.unix.xenix] FILE SYSTEMS UNDER XENIX

deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (Michael Deutsch) (04/24/87)

I've just added a second disc drive to my XENIX
system.  The new drive has been partitioned into
3 file systems, similar to the main drive, therefore
I have 6 file systems.

The problem is that I can mount only 1 of the new file
systems.  When I try to mount the 5th and the 6th
partition I get the message:

	Mount Failed
	Device Busy

Is this related to the number of mount points in
the:
	/usr/sys/conf/XENIX.conf
file????

Please let me know if you have experience with the same.

Thanks in advance.
Michael Deutsch

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (04/28/87)

In article <213@jplcwp.UUCP> deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (Michael Deutsch) writes:
>I've just added a second disc drive to my XENIX
>system.  The new drive has been partitioned into
>3 file systems, similar to the main drive, therefore
>I have 6 file systems.
>
>The problem is that I can mount only 1 of the new file
>systems.  When I try to mount the 5th and the 6th
>partition I get the message:
>
>	Mount Failed
>	Device Busy
>
>Is this related to the number of mount points in
>the:
>	/usr/sys/conf/XENIX.conf
>file????

Yes, Xenix is distributed with NMOUNT set to 4.  You can easily change this
and make a new kernel.  If you are running Xenix on an 80286 and have a
version older than SCO 2.2, be careful.  Data space in the kernel is
limited to 64k, and if you start increasing limits willy-nilly you will
quickly blow the limit.  If you haven't increased any of the other tunable
parameters, you can increase this to 7 or 8 mounts with room to spare.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben