[comp.unix.xenix] 6300 general questions

pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (Mr. Rem) (05/04/87)

I am getting a PC6300 and want to get the most bang out the system
possible. I want to run xenix.

	1. What is a reliable, cost effective 20 or 30 meg drive
	availible for the 6300.
	2. Should I consider a v20?
	3. Is there any point to getting any memory beyond 640K
	for xenix?
	4. Will there be any reasonable migration path to
	   a 80286/80386 system using the existing motherboard/slots?

Thanks in advance.

gpw@ihdev.ATT.COM (G. P. Wilkin) (05/04/87)

In article <673@hjuxa.UUCP>, pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (Mr. Rem) writes:

> I am getting a PC6300 and want to get the most bang out the system
> possible. I want to run xenix.
>
> 	1. What is a reliable, cost effective 20 or 30 meg drive
> 	availible for the 6300.

cost 20meg 335-350$, 30meg 425-450$
Segate, Mini Scribe, CDC

> 	2. Should I consider a v20?
V30 YES YES

> 	3. Is there any point to getting any memory beyond 640K
> 	for xenix?

Only if the implementation uses it for a ram disk, paging area

> 	4. Will there be any reasonable migration path to
> 	   a 80286/80386 system using the existing motherboard/slots?
????? Don't Know.

--
George Wilkin 	AT&T Network Systems, Naperville, IL
		!ihnp4!ihdev!gpw  IH 4A-157  work 312-979-4317

halle@homxc.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <1366@ihdev.ATT.COM>, gpw@ihdev.ATT.COM (G. P. Wilkin) writes:
> In article <673@hjuxa.UUCP>, pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (Mr. Rem) writes:
> > I am getting a PC6300 and want to get the most bang out the system
> > possible. I want to run xenix.
> > 	2. Should I consider a v20?
> V30 YES YES
BUT ...... See my next comment
> > 	3. Is there any point to getting any memory beyond 640K
> > 	for xenix?
> Only if the implementation uses it for a ram disk, paging area
And only if you keep the 8086.  The AT&T memory board is incompatable with
the NEC V30.  The computer just hangs if it looks for the board.  I don't
know what will happen with someone else's board, but those boards will be
8bit boards, not 16bit like AT&T's.

gpw@ihdev.ATT.COM (G. P. Wilkin) (05/07/87)

Since the AT&T Memory board is so expensive not many will have it.

See my note on the Private net about the software..........

Please do not post Private Info Here.....