[comp.unix.xenix] Segmentation violation with cu under XENIX-286 2.1.0

meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) (07/06/87)

I am having problems with the cu command under SCO XENIX-286 2.1.0.
Everything goes along fine until I terminate the session with the
"~." command.  Every so often, the program crashes with the message
"Segmentation violation -- core dumped" and the terminal hangs.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Know how to fix it?

					Thanks in advance,

						John

--
John R. Meyer					Domain:  meyer@mimsy.umd.edu
10208C Ashbrooke Ct.				Path:    seismo!mimsy!meyer

chkg@ptsfa.UUCP (Chuck Gentry) (07/07/87)

I had the same problem under 2.1.0.  It would even dump me in the middle
of a session.  The problem seemed to occur without a pattern.

XENIX SysV R2.2.1 does not seem to have the 'cu' problem.  (I've been
using it for about a month and the problem has never occured.)  It also
has some very nice enhancements that are worth the time and money for
the upgrade.

Chuck Gentry
{lll-lcc,seismo,qantel}!ptsfa!chkg

michael@macom1.UUCP (Michael Mullins) (07/07/87)

in article <7341@mimsy.UUCP>, meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) says:

> I am having problems with the cu command under SCO XENIX-286 2.1.0.
> Everything goes along fine until I terminate the session with the
> "~." command.  Every so often, the program crashes with the message
> "Segmentation violation -- core dumped" and the terminal hangs.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Know how to fix it?

I have seen this error on several versions of xenix.  Not just on the
At clone stuff, but also on a specific version from intel on one of
their multiuser boxes.

I assume when you say the terminal hangs, that it apears that you can'
not do anything?  Usually, if you press line-feed, or ^J, it will flush
the input buffer, give you some message about "not found...."  then all
you have to do is "exit^J" which will log you out, without having to
kill the process from another port.  Another thing you can try, which
clear strange terminal gyrations under Sys V, is to enter:
	"stty sane^J"
I have done this second fix on 2.1.3, and work fine for me...  Like
John says above, the upgrade to 2.2 is worth it.  Not only is the CU
fixed, but also drivers for many of the popular tape archive devices are
included.

				john mullins

--
Dennis Paul Roth
CENTEL Business Information Systems, Inc.

hill@nicmad.UUCP (07/07/87)

I have seen the same problem back when I was running SCO Xenix 2.1.3. You can
unlock the terminal by going to another terminal and commanding that port to
sane (ie. stty </dev/tty1a sane). I never found a way to avoid the problem.

I haven't tested it with 2.2.1, because I started using kermit in place of it
for my dial outs and don't have any problems with that. The kermit I'm running
does everything "cu" does plus binary file transfer.

						Ray Hill
						uwvax!nicmad!hill

ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold) (07/09/87)

In article <1747@nicmad.UUCP> hill@nicmad.UUCP (Ray Hill) writes:

>I have seen the same problem back when I was running SCO Xenix 2.1.3.
>
>						Ray Hill

The problem is indeed fixed under 2.2.1

--
Eric Griswold
Quote:  3 more of these will make a gallon