[comp.unix.xenix] Getting Emacs and Elm running on Microport.

fortin@iros1.UUCP (07/03/87)

	I am currently trying to get JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs)
and ELM (Dave Taylor's ELectronic Mailer) up and running on my
Microport 2.2 system.  Somehow, in both cases, the "ld" program just
hangs (after I have been able to compile everything successfully).

	I suspect that this is due to a lack of RAM (I have only 1MB),
but I would like confirmation before I go out and buy more memory!

	Has anybody out there installed these two programs (or anything
	similar)?

					Denis, fortin@iros1.uucp

sns@tybalt.caltech.edu (Samuel N. Southard) (07/08/87)

In article <223@Mannix.iros1.UUCP> fortin@iros1.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
>	I suspect that this is due to a lack of RAM (I have only 1MB),
>but I would like confirmation before I go out and buy more memory!

I would go out and buy more memory anyways. 1MB is not enough to do much.

My cat can quack, can yours?		genghis!sns@csvax.Caltech.Edu

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (07/11/87)

In article <223@Mannix.iros1.UUCP>, fortin@iros1.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
> Microport 2.2 system.  Somehow, in both cases, the "ld" program just
> hangs (after I have been able to compile everything successfully).
> 	I suspect that this is due to a lack of RAM (I have only 1MB),
> but I would like confirmation before I go out and buy more memory!

Having only one meg with microport can make ls seem to hang  :-(
I found it barely usable with one meg, but it is entirely acceptable
with 5 meg, and in fact 2 meg is plenty for most uses.  I never
swap, no matter what, with 5 meg; clearly overkill.

In several of the packages I'v ported to the beastie I've found that
make was botching the call to ld, usually passing a blank or null
argument.  It doesn't show up on the screen, of course, making it
tricky to diagnose.  Haven't seen the loader just plain lock up, though.

recomended diagnosis procedure: run make -n > file
so you've got the text to work with.  Now copy the ld
command into another file and cut it in half, lopping off
the right-hand half or so.  run it.  It should run to completion
and complain about missing symbols.  If so, the problem is in the
right half.  If it locks up, the problem is in the left half.  etc.

If the command runs ala "make -n | sh" the problem is in
make's command invocation.  Look for macros with null
expansions in the command line.

	Hope this is of some use to someone.
	Steve Nuchia

wietse@eurifb.UUCP (Wietse Venema) (07/21/87)

In article <223@Mannix.iros1.UUCP>, fortin@iros1.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:

> 	I am currently trying to get JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs)
> and ELM (Dave Taylor's ELectronic Mailer) up and running on my
> Microport 2.2 system.  Somehow, in both cases, the "ld" program just
> hangs (after I have been able to compile everything successfully).

When compiling a few large programs (hack, jove) I founf that ld will
hang if there is no space left on the disk. It would be nice if
microport had provided a "no space left" message on the system console...

			Wietse Venema

uucp:	...!mcvax!eutwc1!wietse
bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5