[comp.unix.xenix] Does XENIX have sockets? Also, SCO 2.2 Upgrade A query.

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (07/23/87)

In article <114@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
> Does XENIX support interprocess communication(IPC) through sockets?
> What does XENIX use for interprocess stuff such as piping, etc?

We are running SCO xenix; like you, we have a need for IPC.
In our case we use the message passing operations msg_send, msg_receive,
etc.  As far as pipes go, they look just like they always have.

In our case, we also have the "socket library" that comes with the
TCP/IP protocol software we use for our ethernet.  This came with
the Micom/Interlan ethernet kit.  It includes such system calls
as bind, which mentions sockets in the man page.

Here is my query:

What has changed from 2.1.3 to 2.2.1 in the SCO product?  We have just
gotten the eight diskettes for the OS upgrade, but we harbor fears
concerning the health of the Micom protocol software under the new
OS version.  Has anyone tried the OS upgrade yet?  Does anyone
know what they changed?  In specific, did the file format change
enough so that programs compiled with an old inode layout or
readdir call will not work?  Was I the only person to buy Micom
instead of Excelan?  Should I proceed to "Go for it, dude. No Maj."
(Trying to get the silicon valley guy accent going, there.)
--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter (703) 689-2800 x 235

cranor@udel.EDU (Chuck Cranor) (07/24/87)

In article <36@citcom.UUCP> peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) writes:
>In article <114@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
>> Does XENIX support interprocess communication(IPC) through sockets?
>> What does XENIX use for interprocess stuff such as piping, etc?

>What has changed from 2.1.3 to 2.2.1 in the SCO product?   . . .
>Has anyone tried the OS upgrade yet?

I've done the upgrade with one of our AT's.  I can tell you that
the Excelan stuff from 2.1.3 does NOT work with 2.2.1.   I've been
trying to get the software from them for 2.2.1 for the longest time, but
it's still not out, and they seem to have been working on it for some time now.
So, I would guess the difference between 2.1.3 and 2.2.1 is non-trivial
(or excelan is out to lunch... :-) ).  Maybe you'll have better luck with
Micom!
  Anyway, I'm still waiting, and using 2.1.3.....

						Chuck
--
Chuck Cranor
University of Delaware  PHONE: (302)-451-6660 (UDel), (302)-737-5852 (home)

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (07/24/87)

> >Has anyone tried the OS upgrade yet?
> I've done the upgrade with one of our AT's.  I can tell you that
> the Excelan stuff from 2.1.3 does NOT work with 2.2.1.
> Maybe you'll have better luck with Micom!
> Anyway, I'm still waiting, and using 2.1.3.....
> Chuck Cranor, University of Delaware
Talked to Micom today; they are now aware that the new SCO will require
a new protocol software distribution.  They claim they are now in
beta test, and will ship in 30 days.  What else would they claim?
Too bad the marketing and support people never tell the cold truth;
we sent a query to Micom when we ordered the 2.2 SCO upgrade, and
they had the option of three responses:
	1. The new os will work with the existing protocol software.
	2. The new os will require new protocol software.
	3. We have no idea.
For some reason, they always respond with option number 1; never 3.
We still like being systems admin; lots of human interaction.