[comp.unix.xenix] 32-bit memory benchmark results for Inboard 386/AT card

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (06/21/87)

This is a reposting of benchmarks of the Intel Inboard 386/AT,
this time with new results on the speed of the board fully loaded
with 32-bit memory.  Earlier results simply reported results using
16-bit memory on the AT bus.  As you can see by the results below,
the difference is quite startling!  Earlier results indicated a
ratio of 1.7/1 in average CPU speed -- with the 32-bit memory expansion,
this has increased to better than 2.6/1 compared with a stock 8mhz AT.
At least from the Dhrystone benchmarks reported below, we're beginning
to edge into Sun 3 territory...

---------------------------------------

All tests were run on the same hardware and software environment,
with the exception of the replacement of the 286 for the 386 card,
under SCO XENIX 286 OS v. 2.1.3 with Development System v. 2.1.4.
Note that this is a test of the execution speed of 286 16-bit instructions.
The Inboard used in this test has no memory of its own other than its cache.

		IBM PC/AT 8mhz		IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
					at 16mhz, cache enabled

					16-bit mem	32-bit mem

Drystone 1.0	no reg	reg		no reg	reg	no reg	reg
		1278	1292		2293	2304	3429	3405
Drystone 1.1	1084	1094		1957	1963	2906	2893

Buchholz (sum of user & sys times in sec)

short cpu	0.3			0.2		0.1
medium cpu	3.3			1.9		1.2
long cpu	***			*** (values out of range)
short I/O	0.9			0.6		0.4
I/O bound	3.1			1.9		1.4
long mixed	56.9			33.8		21.8
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

m5@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally ) (06/24/87)

In article <122@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
 >               IBM PC/AT 8mhz          IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
 >                                       at 16mhz, cache enabled
 >
 >                                       16-bit mem      32-bit mem
 >
 >Drystone 1.0   no reg  reg             no reg  reg     no reg  reg
 >               1278    1292            2293    2304    3429    3405
 >Drystone 1.1   1084    1094            1957    1963    2906    2893

Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?

--
Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---
    Where Plano Road the Mighty Flood of Forest Lane doth meet,

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (06/29/87)

In article <1176@bobkat.UUCP> m5@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally (Man from Mars)) writes:
>In article <122@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> >               IBM PC/AT 8mhz          IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
> >                                       16-bit mem      32-bit mem
> >Drystone 1.0   no reg  reg             no reg  reg     no reg  reg
> >               1278    1292            2293    2304    3429    3405
> >Drystone 1.1   1084    1094            1957    1963    2906    2893
>
>Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
>than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?
>--
>Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---

No, its not strange when you consider that Dhrystone is not register-
intensive.   Saving the registers used for register variables on entry
to a procedure and restoring them at exit takes time (PUSH/POP).  If the
register variable is not referenced often enough that the reduced access
time to the variable makes up for the overhead of pushing and popping
the register.  The time savings for access to a register variable may be
as little as three or four clock cycles (depending on wait states), while
pushing and popping take 8 to 10 clocks (again, dep on wait states).  Thus,
if the register variable is accessed less than four times, you have a net
increase in execution time.

BTW, Turbo C with all optimizations on shows the same effect on an AT when
running Dhrystone.

ARPA:  RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU               USnail: Ralf Brown
AT&T:  (412) 268-3053 (school)                    Computer Science Department
                                                  Carnegie-Mellon University
DISCLAIMER?  Who ever said I claimed anything?    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
"I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them..." -- Isaac Asimov

dyer@athena.mit.edu (Steve Dyer) (06/30/87)

>Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
>than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?

Sure is, but that's what I got.  I'm not sure why; perhaps it has to
do with alignment of the variables (note that the results came from
the SAME objects--the only difference was whether the 286 program
was running in 16-bit memory or 32-bit memory).  I'll be posting
XENIX 386 results in a day or two; stay tuned...
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
dyer@spdcc.COM aka {harvard,wanginst,ima,ihnp4,bbn,halleys}!spdcc!dyer

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (07/07/87)

In article <52@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu>, ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) writes:
> In article <1176@bobkat.UUCP> m5@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally (Man from Mars)) writes:
> >Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
> >than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?
> No, its not strange when you consider that Dhrystone is not register-
> intensive.
> 		The time savings for access to a register variable may be
> as little as three or four clock cycles (depending on wait states), while
> pushing and popping take 8 to 10 clocks (again, dep on wait states).  Thus,
> if the register variable is accessed less than four times, you have a net
> increase in execution time.

This is all highly compiler/processor dependant, of course.  The original
published Dhrystone was in Ada, and when I did the translation, I added
the register decl's.  Naturally, they are (were) optimized for the
compiler/processor I was using at the time: an 8088 running Venix 2.0.
I'm embarrassed to say that the choices I made and implementation I used
were not far-sighted enough to avoid anamolies such as the above.  Luckily,
compilers are getting smart enough in reg allocation to cover my mistakes!
not very
--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)

jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jack C Schafer) (07/22/87)

		I'm looking for a civil engineering software package.  This
package must deal with conective geometry.  The software should be designed
to deal with surveyor information, close loops, and(or) do spirals.  I am
also looking for road project management packages.
		Any information would be appreciated.

			Thanks
			Jack

brian@asci.UUCP (Brian Douglass) (07/24/87)

In article <2530@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Jack C Schafer) writes:

>  I'm looking for a civil engineering software package.  This
>package must deal with conective geometry.  The software should be designed
>to deal with surveyor information, close loops, and(or) do spirals.  I am
>also looking for road project management packages.
>  Any information would be appreciated.

Try the Army Corps of Engineers.  They have all kinds of software for Civil
Engineering, Hydrology, and sorts of other type of Construction Engineering.
In particular most of it comes out of some place like Vicksburg Missippi, I
think, I don't remember.  Whether it is for sale or not, I don't know, but it
may be public domain because it was developed for or by the Government, and
therefore might be available under the Freedom of Information Act, but I'm
just guessing.

Brian Douglass
Applied Systems Consultants, Inc. (ASCI)
P.O. Box 13301
Las Vegas, NV 89103
Office: (702) 733-6761
Home: (702) 871-8182
brian@asci.uucp
UUCP:    {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,psivax,sdcrdcf}!otto!jimi!asci!brian

"I speak only for myself as writer first, systems analyst second, and whatever
the hell else I am third"  Me