[comp.unix.xenix] Does XENIX have sockets? Also, software availability.

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (07/22/87)

I've just recently been setting up and using XENIX, so pleae bear with me.

Does XENIX support interprocess communication through the use of sockets?
I've found not mention of them, so I assume they don't exist.  What method
does XENIX use for interprocess stuff such as piping, etc?

Also: Could anyone give me a list of vendors for XENIX software, or at
least some indication of the availability...

Thanks,

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (07/24/87)

In article <114@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:

> Does XENIX support interprocess communication through the use of sockets?
> Also: Could anyone give me a list of vendors for XENIX software, or at

Off the shelf Xenix does not have socket facilities. However, Excelan
offers an add-on TCP/IP package which includes a socket programming
library. Otherwise, FIFOs or message queues will have to do.

You can obtain a list of third-party Xenix products for SCO Xenix by
calling 1-800-626-UNIX and asking the SCO support people for a copy of
their "Xenix Third Party Products Directory".

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...seismo!husc6!necntc!m2c!applix!jim

kevin@iisat.UUCP (07/26/87)

In article <114@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
> Does XENIX support interprocess communication through the use of sockets?
> I've found not mention of them, so I assume they don't exist.  What method
> does XENIX use for interprocess stuff such as piping, etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

No, Xenix does not support sockets as such and I don't think
AT&T Unix does either.  Xenix does support IPC though, using
different routes.

The most common and closest to sockets, is messaging, which is
a "stream" connecting 1 or more processes together. So you can have
1 process send something, and have 3 other ones receiving (like
sockets, once a message is "received", it is deleted from the queue).

Unlike sockets though, you can attach a message type (that you define)
to each message, so that a process which goes to read the message
queue, can receive the first message of a certain type (the type
may be its PID number or something).  Messaging also supports
normal permissions -- owner,group,other (read/write) -- for the queues
providing some security.

Xenix also has semaphores (Xenix version and AT&T) as well as
shared memory (again, Xenix & AT&T versions).

I'm redisigning the "talk" program that was posted a while back from
pipes to messages.
--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {seismo|utai|watmath|garfield} !dalcs!iisat!kevin

miket@ncoast.UUCP (Michael Taht) (07/27/87)

My terminal emulation is busted, so I'm typeing blind. Please Excuse.
Read the manual. Xenix is System V, and system V DOESN'T have sockets.
The closest analogue is Xenix-Net, which uses //machine/path... and currently
works with ethernet, and Sytek 6120 boards. V.3 will have AT&Ts networking
built in, I've confused myself weather it's called ?RFS or NFS.
In its place we have both Xenix and Unix V.2 pipes, named pipes, and message
queues. Take a look at the Programmer's Guide II, at "Pipes".
Michael Taht
PS Anyone know why NONE of PRocomm's 2.4.2 terminal emulations work?
PPS Xenix Net is a separate product, sells for around 600 from SCO.