[comp.unix.xenix] Trouble sending mail to SCO Xenix system

robert@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (07/31/87)

I am having trouble sending mail to two SCO XENIX machines via uucp.
I'm running a 4.2 BSD VAX 11/780. The XENIX machines have no trouble
sending mail to me, but mail sent to them vanishes without trace.

Suggestions, anyone?

--
    Robert Plamondon
    UUCP: {pyramid,cae780}!weitek!robert

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (07/31/87)

> I am having trouble sending mail to two SCO XENIX machines via uucp.
> I'm running a 4.2 BSD VAX 11/780. The XENIX machines have no trouble
> sending mail to me, but mail sent to them vanishes without trace.

In this article, I present:

	1. A query about the specific details of the report above.
	2. A query about why uucp gives trouble on my system.

What is your system set-up like there?  Are you running async lines
or ethernet cards?  When you send the mail from the 4.2 machine,
does the /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE indicate a request was queued?
Given that it does, does /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE indicate the
XENIX machine got the message?  We had a very nice mail network
built with async lines that allowed two-way mail with our Sun net;
we broke this two-way mail when we added ethernet cards.

My problem here is that our Sun thinks it can send mail to the
XENIX machine on the ethernet because the XENIX machine has an
address in /etc/hosts.  The XENIX machine does not have a server
listening, however, as near as we can tell.  Any help?
--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter (703) 689-2800 x 235

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (08/05/87)

In article <44@citcom.UUCP>, peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) writes:
> My problem here is that our Sun thinks it can send mail to the
> XENIX machine on the ethernet because the XENIX machine has an
> address in /etc/hosts.  The XENIX machine does not have a server
> listening, however, as near as we can tell.  Any help?

No TCP/IP implementation that I've yet seen for Xenix implements SMTP,
the most common Internet mail protocol.  You'll need to have sendmail
on the Suns not try to use the "ether" mailer for your Xenix system,
but the "uucp" mailer.  (You'll have to read up on sendmail.cf files
and such.)
--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET