[comp.unix.xenix] Keyboard Lockup

ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) (08/02/87)

Anyone else having strange console keyboard lockup problems while running
XENIX on your AT class machine?

SCO XENIX 2.2.1 finally gave me the answer.

I was begining to feel random keyboard lockups was a price I had to pay for
running XENIX on a "cheap" AT clone, but now SCO has a fix just for people like
me. I always figured it was a hardware only problem and had to learn to live
with it. Now a simple 1 minute kernal patch and my keyboard lockup problems are
over. (I also lost the use of the handy dandy keyboard status lights, a small
price to pay)

WOW, I don't have to worry about lockups anymore. My upgrade to 2.2 was worth
every second invested.

						Ray Hill
						ray@madnix

chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (08/04/87)

In article <124@madnix.UUCP>, ray@madnix.UUCP writes:

> Anyone else having strange console keyboard lockup problems while running
> XENIX on your AT class machine?
>
> I was begining to feel random keyboard lockups was a price I had to pay for
> running XENIX on a "cheap" AT clone, but now SCO has a fix [...]
> I always figured it was a hardware only problem and had to learn to live with
> it. Now a simple 1 minute kernal patch and my keyboard lockup problems are
> over.

I'm still running 2.1.0, and I have keyboard lockups all the time.

Unplugging the keyboard -- sometimes I have to do it twice -- "unlocks" it.

What is the patch?  I haven't seen it, and I'm sure that many reading this
group are also interested.

--
Chip Salzenberg            UUCP: "uunet!ateng!chip"  or  "chips@usfvax2.UUCP"
A.T. Engineering, Tampa    Fidonet: 137/42    CIS: 73717,366

ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) (08/06/87)

In article <812@usfvax2.UUCP> chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I'm still running 2.1.0, and I have keyboard lockups all the time.
>
>Unplugging the keyboard -- sometimes I have to do it twice -- "unlocks" it.
>
>What is the patch?  I haven't seen it, and I'm sure that many reading this
>group are also interested.
>
>--
>Chip Salzenberg            UUCP: "uunet!ateng!chip"  or  "chips@usfvax2.UUCP"
>A.T. Engineering, Tampa    Fidonet: 137/42    CIS: 73717,366
>"Use the Source, Luke!"    My opinions do not necessarily agree with anything.

The patch is in SCO 2.2.1 Operating System Release Notes Section 3.3 (page 13)
I wouldn't think the patch would work with 2.1.0 .

The patch is when you have: system console does not repond or echo keys typed,
cannot flip Multiscreens, keyboard LEDs do not change, other terminals work,
printer still works, and system is still running.

For 2.2.1 the patch is: (make sure your system backedup and you backup the
			 kernal)
	# adbL -w /xenix
	  ledspresent/w 0
	  $q

And reboot. (I don't know what will happen on a 2.1.0 kernal)

						Ray Hill
--
UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers}!uwvax!nicmad!madnix!ray
            {ihnp4,decvax,terminus}/

roth@macom1.UUCP (dennis paul roth) (08/06/87)

In article <124@madnix.UUCP>, ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) writes:

> Anyone else having strange console keyboard lockup problems while running
> XENIX on your AT class machine?

Yes, It's been driving me nuts.

> I was begining to feel random keyboard lockups was a price I had to pay for
> running XENIX on a "cheap" AT clone, but now SCO has a fix just for people like
> me. I always figured it was a hardware only problem and had to learn to live
> with it.

That's what I thought. First I thought it was my cheap keyboard, so I took a
real AT keyboard home from work for a few days but still had the same problem.
Then I changed a few of the tunable parameters in the kernal and relinked. That
had some effect on the problem. Since the problem didn't show up on any of the
machines at work I thought it was a Cheap Clone hardware problem.

>Now a simple 1 minute kernal patch and my keyboard lockup problems are over.

If its such a simple patch, why not post it and put Cheap Clone XENIX users like
me out of our misery?

--
Dennis Roth @ CENTEL Information Systems, Inc. 5515 Security Lane, Rockville,
Maryland, 20852, (301) 984-3636          uucp: {decuac, grebyn}!macom1!roth

rem@remsit.UUCP (Roger Murray) (08/07/87)

In article <812@usfvax2.UUCP>, chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> In article <124@madnix.UUCP>, ray@madnix.UUCP writes:
> >
> > Anyone else having strange console keyboard lockup problems while running
> > XENIX on your AT class machine?
> >

> I'm still running 2.1.0, and I have keyboard lockups all the time.

Gee, I'm running 2.0.4 and have had no keyboard lockups at all.  Must be a
new feature.  :-)

But seriously, is the patch a part of any new version (2.2.x) or will I have
to get it somehow if/when I upgrade?
--
Roger Murray

UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem
ARPA: cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem@CS.UCLA.EDU [formerly LOCUS.UCLA.EDU]