[comp.unix.xenix] SCO xenix 386 and clone 386 boards.

boesch@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Brian Boesch) (08/12/87)

------
Considering how relatively inexpensive the 386 "AT" clones are
they seem to be the way to upgrate to the full 32 bit world of
Xenix 386.

Does anyone have any experience with SCO xenix on any of the clones?
Which one, where is it available, how much and how does it perform?

Also I am curious about 287 vs 387 many of the boards support only the
287. What is the performance difference between a 287 and 387 and
is there any functional difference. (ie can a program compiled for one
run on the other.).

Thanks in advance.

  Brian Boesch

	boesch@shasta.stanford.edu
	boesch@shasta.UUCP

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (08/13/87)

In article <1942@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, boesch@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Brian Boesch) writes:
> Considering how relatively inexpensive the 386 "AT" clones are
> they seem to be the way to upgrate to the full 32 bit world of
> Xenix 386.
> Does anyone have any experience with SCO xenix on any of the clones?
> Which one, where is it available, how much and how does it perform?

I'm sure this will be a hot topic here during the next few months, kinda
like all the articles in comp.dcom.modems asking about 2400 modems...
The Xenix/386 release notes say SCO has run on the following machines:
	ACER 1100, Corvus 331, Compaq 386, ITT 386, Mitsubishi PC-386,
	Noble 386, Olivetti M380, Wyse 386, Zenith 386, Intel Inboard
The following machines have been reported to run Xenix/386:
	NCR PC916, Orchid JET 386, PC's Limited 386
The following is my list of 386 clones I have been gathering info on,
any additions or corrections that you know about - please mail or post
info:

	COMPAQ DeskPro 386-40
     1 meg 1-wait state memory, 40 meg ST506 disk, EGA card
     Xenix tested: yes
     Xenix certified: yes
     Price: $4995

	PC's Limited 386-16 Color
     1 meg 0-wait state memory, 40 meg ST506 disk, EGA card
     Xenix tested: yes
     Xenix certified: no
     Price: $4999

	AMT 386-Turbo
     1 meg 0-wait state memory, ST506 controller, no display card
     Xenix tested: unknown
     Xenix certified: no
     Price: $2399

	Kelleco 386
     1 meg 0-wait state memory, 40 meg ST506 disk, no display card
     Xenix tested: yes
     Xenix certified: no
     Price: $2995, $2495 without disk (developer discount)

	ACER 1100
     1 meg 0-wait state memory, 40 meg ST506 disk, no display card
     Xenix tested: yes
     Xenix certified: yes
     Price: $3995

	WYSE pc386
     1 meg memory
     Xenix tested: yes
     Xenix certified: yes
     Price: $3854

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...seismo!husc6!necntc!m2c!applix!jim

burton@parcvax.UUCP (08/13/87)

Has anyone tested 386 Xenix with the Cheetah 386 upgrade for AT's?
(cost about $500 with CPU.)

--
Philip Burton
Xerox Corporation    408 737 4635