[comp.unix.xenix] sco 2.2 dial-in

las@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) (08/18/87)

Although I experienced no trouble getting dial-ins to work with 2.1.3
I have not been able to to get them to work with 2.2.  The computer
dialing in sees the login prompt but nothing happens after they type
their login name.  Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you
solve it or not had any problem and what tty did you enable, what setting
in the inittab file did you make, etc.

I wod appreciate any help this problem has me stumped.

Larry Shields

---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        USENET: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48823                 Compuserve: 70277,3677

gah@blft1.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <43@nancy.UUCP>, las@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) writes:
> Although I experienced no trouble getting dial-ins to work with 2.1.3
> I have not been able to to get them to work with 2.2.  The computer
> dialing in sees the login prompt but nothing happens after they type
> their login name.  Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you
> solve it or not had any problem and what tty did you enable, what setting
> in the inittab file did you make, etc.

Yes Larry I have had the problem you list above.  I was trying to use
1200 baud 7 data, even parity, 1 stop on the calling unit.  I got the
same results.  I had to use the following:

1200 baud, 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop.

I am wondering if you are using the ARNET Smartboard?  That is what
we were using.

I used tty1A for the dialup modem.  Also make sure you define tty1A
as a dialup.  I am using the ARNET board and /etc/inittab does not
seem to make a difference what your entries are.  I used NO defs in
the inittab file for tty1A..

Gregg Houck
..psuvax1!blft1!gah

root@turnkey.UUCP (Super user) (08/21/87)

In article <28@blft1.UUCP>, gah@blft1.UUCP (Gregg Houck SysOp) writes:
> In article <43@nancy.UUCP>, las@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) writes:
> > Although I experienced no trouble getting dial-ins to work with 2.1.3
> > I have not been able to to get them to work with 2.2.  The computer
> > dialing in sees the login prompt but nothing happens after they type
> > their login name.  Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you
> > solve it or not had any problem and what tty did you enable, what setting
> > in the inittab file did you make, etc.
> >
> Yes Larry I have had the problem you list above.  I was trying to use
> 1200 baud 7 data, even parity, 1 stop on the calling unit.  I got the
> same results.  I had to use the following:
>
> 1200 baud, 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop.

We experienced the identical problem here at TCC, Gregg's solution ,however,
while perhaps acceptable between small systems is not going to work in all
instances. In the case where your system is polled by a large site using,say,
BSD 4.3 ( as we are) you cannot very well ask the system administrator to
change their port definitions. No, the problem must be resolved elsewhere.

The heart of the problem lies in the change SCO made in /etc/gettydefs between
release 2.1.3 and 2.2. On the dialup entries the initial flags are OK which is
why, Larry, they can enter their login name, at that point, however the second-
ary flags take effect and if you look at the entries they are as Gregg said,
CS8, and no parity enabled. Since the sending site is sending its password at
7E1 it will be garbled. So, to eliminate the problem you must edit each of
the dialup entries that you use (i.e.,1200 and 2400 baud), change the CS8 to
CS7 and add to each PARENB. This will resolve the problem.

Best of luck! And, for anyone from SCO reading this I would like to know why
the change was made in the first place. I assume there was good reason; care
to respond?

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA