[comp.unix.xenix] Bug Fixes Scheduled by Microport

root@qetzal.UUCP (Admin) (08/25/87)

Greetings again - Here is a list of scheduled bug fixes
from Microport. I speak for hundreds - THANKS!! rcw@qetzal
Just snip and print!
---------------------------------------8-x-------------------------

                         Report of Open Bugs for SystemV/AT 286
                                     Tue Aug  4 1987

                                     Distributed by:

                                    Microport Systems
                                    10 Victor Square
                                 Scotts Valley, CA  95066
                                     (408) 438-8649

                         The Next Microport Update Will Be 2.3,
                        Scheduled for Release on August 31, 1987

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 1

     32   Priority: 3   Release: 1.2   Found in: uucp  Verified
    Communicating with Honey-Danber uucp may present a problem if its nodename
    is greater than 6 chars.  The uucp supplied with SysV truncates to 6 chars.
    Work Around: An alias can be used to truncate to 6 characters.

     55   Priority: 3   Release: 1.2   Found in: mail  Verified
    long mail or mailx messages (>32k) will report transmission failure even
    though successfully transmitted.
    Work Around: Message can be ignored.

     62   Priority: 3   Release: 1.2   Found in: optimizer  Verified
    Optimizer can give fatal error, asm error, or cause a core dump.
    Work Around: don't give the -O optimizer option to cc if these problems are encountered.

     64   Priority: 2   Release: 1.2   Found in: df  Scheduled
    df on a mounted file system closes floppy
    Work Around: Remount the floppy file system.
    To be fixed in 2.3

    129   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: vi  Verified
    in vi, >> in rapid succession will put you in ex mode
    Work Around: You can recover with :vi, or you can use the h,j,k, and l keys instead.

    137   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: labelit  Scheduled
    labelit -n does not work for floppy
    Work Around: use volcopy to label floppies for use with finc and frec
    To be fixed in 2.3

    158   Priority: 3   Release:    Found in: doscp  Scheduled
    doscp will truncate file if larger than buffer space
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    172   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: os  Scheduled
    data exception hangs system with 287 chip in place
    Work Around: Pull 287 chip, or avoid data exceptions (such as divide by 0).
    To be fixed in 2.3

    174   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: cc,F77  Scheduled
    log and log10 don't work for 1/sqrt(2)<x<1.
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3.1

    191   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: as  Verified
    hash table overflow compiling large programs.  This happens both with cc
    c compiler and the f77 compiler.
    Work Around: Break into smaller modules.

    316   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: os  Verified
    data terminals using 8 bit protocols are not supported through gettydefs
    Work Around: this is a known limitation.

    329   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: cc  Verified
    declaring an array of pointers to structures whose total size would be
    greater than 64K causes the C compiler to complain, even though the array
    itself is not greater than 64K.
    Work Around: Try to avoid this configuration.

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 2

    334   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: csh  Verified
    environment variables such as $PROMPT are not accessible from the C shell,
    biving the error message "Undefined variable."
    Work Around: use bourne shell instead

    348   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: f77  Verified
    char conversion func. doesn't work on int*4 (default); compiler complains
    with "no table entry" error message.
    Work Around: explicitly use int*2 for conversion

    350   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: cc  Verified
    "wasted space" generated when a vaiable has the same name as a function
    Work Around: change variable name

    360   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: ar  Verified
    ar with archive file > 200K causes core dump
    Work Around: break up the archive files into smaller libraries

    373   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: csh  Verified
    commands executed from csh which return errors coredump if in back quotes
    Work Around: run bourne shell instead.

    404   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: fprintf  Verified
    using fprintf to write to a file opened in "r+" mode will cause written
    data to be lost.
    Work Around: set the _IOWRT flag by hand: "fp->_flag|=_IOWRT" (fp=file pointer)

    411   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: console driver  Scheduled
    graphics chars will not display on the console
    Work Around: preceed them by a printable ASCII character
    To be fixed in 2.3

    419   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: vi  Scheduled
    substituting using the "s" command may become inoperable;
    Work Around: delete a line, then undoing the change, restores operatability of "s"
    To be fixed in 2.3.1

    422   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: uucico  Verified
    uucico will core dump when the -x option is used, but only when uucico
    would have completed successfully.
    Work Around: The -x option is still useful for debugging uucp connection problems.

    431   Priority: 2   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: system clock  Scheduled
    system clock runs slow, about 30 minutes a day
    Work Around: Edit /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root to reset the clock several times a day
    To be fixed in 2.3

    436   Priority: 1   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: fdisk  Scheduled
    two bad tracks assigned same alternate cylinders when adding to bad
    track table after the system is running.
    Work Around: Always create a fresh bad track table.
    To be fixed in 2.3

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 3

    451   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: malloc  Verified
    malloc(3x), the new version of malloc, may dump core.
    Work Around: Try using malloc(3c)

    452   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: tar  Verified
    tar does successfully overflow across multiple floppies
    Work Around: use cpio through the raw interface; /dev/rdsk/fd

    453   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: uucp  Verified
    uucp mail arrives "from uucp", and so "r" gets sent to uucp instead of usr.
    Work Around: reply using a new invocation of mail.

    454   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: doscp  Scheduled
    Sometimes doscp complains with "bad cluster" message.  (16 bit FAT problem)
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    455   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: floppy driver  Scheduled
    floppy driver can only access 40 tracks of 720k floppies.
    Work Around: Use "format -f0 -179 /dev/rdsk/fd096ds9"  cannot access rest of floppy
    To be fixed in 2.3

    459   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: ld  Verified
    ld with -m only produces header information.
    Work Around: avoid the use of the -m option with ld.

    460   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: cpio  Verified
    copying file to/from mounted floppy fails sometimes
    Work Around: moving to subdirectory of hard disk file system and copy will work ok.

    461   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: ulimit  Scheduled
    ulimit set to 50000 with patch causes system to be unbootable
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    463   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: cpio  Scheduled
    "trackcheck overrun, cyl 0" errors on raw floppy device
    Work Around: Informative only; does not adversely affect the system.
    To be fixed in 2.3

    465   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: Ctrl-Alt-Del  Scheduled
    shutdown w/ctrl-alt-del from boot floppy does not clear mount table
    Work Around: Use sync; sync; sync; init 0 to shutdown floppy rooted file system
    To be fixed in 2.3

    472   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: optimizer  Fixed, not Incorporated
    struct { float a,b; } *p;
    c(x.y) float *x,*y;  { *x=p->a; *y=p->b; }
    with -O -Ml option to cc gets "Fatal error in /lib/optim: Status 0213"
    Work Around: compile without the optimizer.
    fixed in V.3 c compiler

    475   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: accell  Verified
    Using unify accell may panic the system.
    Work Around: Set environment variable NSEGS with setenv NSEGS=2.

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 4

    478   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: dos 3.3  Scheduled
    DOS 3.3 extended partitions not usable with 2.2 SystemV/AT.
    Work Around: Avoid extended DOS partitions
    To be fixed in 2.3

    497   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: doscp  Verified
    doscp file G: flsetdma failed.  Works when logged off virt. console
    Work Around: Log off of virtual console

    515   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: floppy driver  Scheduled
    Use of a write protected floppy as output causes tss fault.
    Work Around: Make sure the write protect tab is not on the floppy when you output to it.
    To be fixed in 2.3

    541   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: boot time  Scheduled
    booting from floppy, nothing on screen.  Cannot get virt. screens
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    542   Priority: 2   Release:    Found in: lp  Verified
    Spurious form feeds from parallel driver
    Work Around: set transparent mode

    547   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: Ctrl-Alt-Del  Scheduled
    Ctrl-Alt-Del can corrupt boot floppies
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    550   Priority: 2   Release:    Found in: format  Verified
    For some drives, format gives timeout errors when formatting a virgin disk
    Work Around: Format with a different utility, such as SpeedStore or Disk Manager.

    560   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: dos util.  Scheduled
    There are problems with dos utilities when going to and from the dos
    partition on the hard disk.
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    568   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: doscp  Scheduled
    doscp -bm file c: mungs up dos partition
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    591   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: doscp  Scheduled
    doscp creates a hidden file on the dos partition
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    597   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: doscp  Scheduled
    ln /dev/rdsk/0s5 /dev/dos/c.  run doscp writing to c: munged dos
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 5

    599   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: dosdir  Scheduled
    problems reading dos subdirectories with TVI controller
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    605   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: fsck  Verified
    fsck can give negative numbers and trash file system when you have
    a very large file system
    Work Around: use fsck -f to repair, and then check with fsck

    611   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: Ethernet  Verified
    rsh <system> <cmd> gives "stty: Deadlock condition if locked"
    Work Around: don't put stty commands in .cshrc or don't use csh as your login shell

    627   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: install  Scheduled
    Can't install on AST Premium due to floppy drive incompatibility.
    Work Around: Substitute a different floppy drive.
    To be fixed in 2.3

    628   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: boot time  Scheduled
    ATI EGA Wonder card gets garbage in EGA mode.
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    639   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: boot time  Verified
    Intelligent Microsystems distributes PTI-203 2MB multifunction cards.
    With 120ns chips in upper MB, you get a double panic immediately on bootup.
    This only occurs at 10MHz.
    Work Around: Company recommends using 150ns chips.

    672   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: cron  Verified
    cron is set to EST when resetting clock.  Uses wrong time zone.
    Work Around: Add the line ./etc/TIMEZONE to the crontabs file.

    684   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: dosdir  Scheduled
    dosdir c: home directory works, but sub-dirs get garbage.
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    687   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: cu/getty  Fixed, not Incorporated
    dial out at 1200 baud works, but modem not reset to 2400 when getty at 2400
    Work Around: use hayes modem software setting to handle this
    Not yet scheduled

    700   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in:   Verified
    Cannot open ttyM1 with O_NDELAY (modem control) - hangs.
    Work Around: Avoid O_NDELAY option to open.

    701   Priority: 3   Release: 1.3.6   Found in: regex compiler  Verified
    In a regular expression, the bracketing by '\(' makes the expression fail.
    Work Around: Avoid the use of '\(' and '\)' in regular expressions.

    716   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: cflow  Verified
    cflow gets "lpfx: PANIC! nargs=258" no matter what args it's fed.

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 6

    736   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: cc  Verified
    program with constant core dumps when constant > 28672.  (large model)

    739   Priority: 3   Release: 2.2   Found in: df  Verified
    If you are downloading floppies to the hard disk, and you run out of file
    space, df will not display the amount left for the file system that ran
    out of space.
    Work Around: use df /dev/dsk/0s0

    741   Priority: 1   Release: 2.2   Found in: uucp  Scheduled
    uucp at 9600 baud can cause tss fault.
    Work Around:
    To be fixed in 2.3

    742   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2.2   Found in: doscp  Verified
    Under some conditions, doscp from unix to dos will destroy file
    allocation tables in dos.  This is an intermittent bug.

    750   Priority: 2   Release: 2.2   Found in: boot time  Verified
    ATI EGA Wonder card won't boot in autoswitch mode.
    Work Around: Avoid booting in autoswitch mode.

      Report PRI.1-2.Bugs Generated by Ace program pri.1.2   page 7

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (08/27/87)

Microport's attitude is ridiculous.  There are quite a few serious problems
and the suggested solution is usually "oh, so just don't use that".

I suggest that Microport take these things a bit more seriously, especially
the ones that are so easy to fix.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie ) (09/01/87)

In article <3090@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Microport's attitude is ridiculous.  There are quite a few serious problems
> and the suggested solution is usually "oh, so just don't use that".
>
> I suggest that Microport take these things a bit more seriously, especially
> the ones that are so easy to fix.

I agree totally !  I have had microport sys V/AT for at least 8 months now and
have had some real problems getting support from those guys.

Originally, I had problems with double panics with the serial ports.  After
being told by tech support, several times, that it must be something I was
doing, I finally got hold of an engineer.  He was the first person to even
ask what the trap address was :-}

Now, they want to charge me $149/yr to call and have them tell me that it's
not their bug.  Even when they do find a bug they seem to be *far* more
interested in releasing a new product that they can charge new $$$$ for than
supporting the products they've already sold.

I'm really losing my patients with microport and I'm about to just ditch
the whole thing.  I think I'll buy a 68020 box and get UNIX from
a company that is interested in supporting it *after* they've got my money.

Brian Cuthie
CASE Communications
Columbia, MD 21046
(301) 290 - 7443