[comp.unix.xenix] manuals

steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) (08/08/87)

	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
know of a vender whom might provide them?

--
Steven Goodman
Lake Systems   Milwaukee, Wisconsin

george@genat.UUCP (George Gorsline) (08/11/87)

Word we're hearing is that man pages will be available soon (as in the next
three months) for SCO Xenix.  As the Canadian source for SCO, we've been
asking for them for some time, but projects such as the 386 seemed to have
come out first!  :-)
--
	George Gorsline, Jr.  VE3FIU / K8HI
	One of the VE3YDX gang... Y DX?  Because it's there(~Y)!

neese@cpedev.UUCP (08/14/87)

>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>know of a vender whom might provide them?

Tandy's version of Xenix has always come with on-line manuals.

						Roy Neese
					UUCP @	ihnp4!sys1!cpe!neese

steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) (08/21/87)

In article <-621439@cpedev> neese@cpedev.UUCP writes:
>>      Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>>know of a vender whom might provide them?
>
>Tandy's version of Xenix has always come with on-line manuals.

Rumor has it that the next version of the "Text Processing System" will
come complete with on-line manuals for this.   Possibly a new "trend"?

--

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (08/22/87)

In article <-621439@cpedev>, neese@cpedev.UUCP writes:
>>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>>know of a vender whom might provide them?
>
> Tandy's version of Xenix has always come with on-line manuals.
>		Roy Neese
>	UUCP @	ihnp4!sys1!cpe!neese
                      ^     ^
            TANDY !---|     |
		TANDY ? ----+

True, if you are running a model 16 or 6000 under
Tandy's version of XENIX. Don't know about the version, (SCO
I suspect) for the 3000 (XT clone) or the 4000 (80386).
I understand SCO had to write a special XENIX for Tandy's
boxes because of special hardware configurations (Does this
sound familure?).

["psst - hey buddy, wanna buy a cheap M-16?"]
* Scotty                     *  Adapt          *
* ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop *     Enjoy       *
* "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    *        Survive  *

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/25/87)

>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>know of a vender whom might provide them?

I hate to toot my own horn but my experience with on-line manuals is that
they are very slow.  On an IBM AT with a reasonable number of users I would
spell this slooooow.  I offer Pocket References as an alternative.
We publish a whole bunch but, in particular, one specifically for
SCO XENIX V.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX

ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold) (08/26/87)

In article <-621439@cpedev> neese@cpedev.UUCP writes:
>>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>>know of a vender whom might provide them?
>
>Tandy's version of Xenix has always come with on-line manuals.

SCO Xenix Text Processing will have on line manuals in the next release
due out reasonably soon (don't have the date on hand).

--
Eric Griswold
Quote:  3 more of these will make a gallon

david@sun.uucp (David DiGiacomo) (08/26/87)

In article <742@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
>>know of a vender whom might provide them?
>
>I hate to toot my own horn but my experience with on-line manuals is that
>they are very slow.  On an IBM AT with a reasonable number of users I would
>spell this slooooow.

That's only because you didn't save pre-nroffed man pages in /usr/man/cat*.
(The Xenix man may not even support this, but it's easy to do with a shell
script.)  If "more -s /usr/man/cat1/cat.1" is slooooow, why bother using
the system?

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (08/27/87)

To me, on-line manuals provide help, even in the case where I am at
a terminal far away from the hard copies.  In the case of our system
here, we have two copies of the manuals, and about a dozen workstations.
Some of the workstations are at people's houses, too, so it is
often a pain when you are at a working terminal, but have no
"man cc" command to find out about a stack size option or whatever.
This problem gets worse when you have three or more operating systems
to deal with.  Requiring all users to have hard copies of all manuals
gets to be a bit prohibitive.

And it is possible to perform a search for a keyword or build an
inverted index for instant search using a computer.  Ever tried
searching on one of these Lexis/Nexis systems?  They can locate
newspaper articles and court cases where certain keywords are
mentioned at high speed; perhaps 6 orders of magnitude faster
than searching microfilm.  It bugs me to take a course at the local
college when I don't have a computer copy of the text;  in
language courses, it would be nice to find example sentences using
a word I'm uncertain about.  Some of the better Unix systems come with
a keyword searching command as part of the on-line manuals, and I, for
one, use it all the time.

Updates to on-line manuals are easier, too.  Just transmit the new
data over the network.  Updating off-line manuals is more challenging.

--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter (703) 689-2800 x 235

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (08/27/87)

Some uninformed person writes:

>True, if you are running a model 16 or 6000 under
>Tandy's version of XENIX. Don't know about the version, (SCO
>I suspect) for the 3000 (XT clone) or the 4000 (80386).
>I understand SCO had to write a special XENIX for Tandy's
>boxes because of special hardware configurations (Does this
>sound familure?).

<Getting Annoyed ON>

Tandy's XENIX-286 (1.x/2.1) are not provided by SCO.  (That is why
it does not say "Copyright ... SCO" when you boot.)  The 6000 System III
was distributed by SCO, but Tandy did the port and drivers.  (Tandy
has always done all or almost all the drivers for its XENIX systems.)
The 286-1.x/2.1 versions of XENIX came from the big DOS factory in
Bellevue Wa. (sorry, they are now in Redmond, guess they managed to escape).

XENIX-286 does come with on-line documentation.  It also comes with a
screen-driven program for accessing them.  Ask anyone who has installed
Tandy 286-XENIX and they will remember the 20+ minute delay during
installation while the keyword tables for the man pages are generated.

The only thing special about the Tandy 3000 hardware configuration is the
size of the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine, which are possibly
large enough to fit in ones' mouth.  Sadly, the 3000 is a AT, segments
and all, just a bit faster.

<Getting Annoyed OFF>
<My personal opinons are in there, so watch it.>

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.   Look, I am not a marketing person, so its just possible
 that I am telling the truth.  Now, go away and flame at Microport, or
 better still, IBM for coming up with such a stupid hardware design.>

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...convex!infoswx!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

"Daisy-chained DRQs and IRQs?  We don't need no stinking daisy-chain!"
						- IBM Design team
"Well, DOS doesn't use them, so why does XENIX?" - Hardware person

iv@hal6000.UUCP (09/03/87)

/* Written 12:01 pm  Aug 25, 1987 by ssc.UUCP!fyl in comp.unix.xenix */
|>	Seeing as Xenix does not come with on-line manuals, does anyone
|>know of a vender whom might provide them?
|
|I hate to toot my own horn but my experience with on-line manuals is that
|they are very slow.  On an IBM AT with a reasonable number of users I would
|spell this slooooow.  I offer Pocket References as an alternative.
|We publish a whole bunch but, in particular, one specifically for
|SCO XENIX V.
|--
|Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
\* End of text from comp.unix.xenix */

Well, Tandy's "help" is as fast as "more /usr/lib/Help/lib/SEC/man-page".

IV  (aka John Elliott IV)	 Domain: iv@hal6000.Tandy.COM
1300 Two Tandy Center		   UUCP: ...!ihnp4!sys1!hal6000!iv
Tandy Systems Software		     or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!hal6000!iv
Fort Worth, TX 76102		  Phone: 817/390-2701; 9:30am-6:00pm CST