[comp.unix.xenix] How to get readnews working...

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (08/31/87)

I am running an Intel 286 box (310/311 if anyone knows the peticulars) and
have Xenix R3.4 running currently on it. I just got copies of the news
programs (2.10.3) but cannot get them to compile correctly at all. Has
anyone created a localize.sh for this peticular configuration (or any
configuration close to it)? If so, could you please drop me a line at
the bottom address (not the same as the above address)...

Thanks for any help you can offer...

--
...!lll-crg --> !csustan --\                         | Whatever I said doesn't
  ...!ihnp4 --> !csun -----/                         | it even before finishing
             ...!dmsd ----/                          | typing it all out!!!

vrs@littlei.UUCP (Vincent R. Slyngstad) (09/04/87)

In article <427@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
> I am running an Intel 286 box (310/311 if anyone knows the peticulars) and
> have Xenix R3.4 running currently on it. I just got copies of the news
> programs (2.10.3) but cannot get them to compile correctly at all. Has
> anyone created a localize.sh for this peticular configuration (or any
> configuration close to it)? If so, could you please drop me a line at
> the bottom address (not the same as the above address)...

Here is the localize.sh that we use on the sources for our
XENIX box.  The news sources are as they were distributed
over the net with patches 1 thru 5 applied.
---------- cut here -----------
rm -f Makefile
cp Makefile.dst Makefile
chmod u+w Makefile
ed - Makefile  <<'EOF'
g/^#USG /s///
g/ #NOTVMS/s///
g/^#V7/d
g/^#BSD/d
g/^#VMS/d
/^HOME/s/exptools/news/
/^BINDIR/s;/usr/bin;/usr/local/news;
/^SCCSID/d
/^UUXFLAGS/s/ -z/ -z/
/^CFLAGS/s/-O/-Ml -O -DDBM/
.s/-Dindex.*strrchr//
/^LFLAGS/s/-s/-Ml -F 4000/
/^LIBS/s/$/ -ldbm/
/^IOBJECTS/s/\\/uname.o \\/
EOF
rm -f defs.h
cp defs.dist defs.h
chmod u+w defs.h
ed - defs.h <<'EOF'
/ROOTID/s/10/194/
/N_UMASK/s/000/002/
/NOTIFY/s/usenet/news/
/UUNAME/s/uucpname/systemid/
/DFLTSUB/s/general,all.announce/all/
/TMAIL/s;^;/*;
/PAGE/s;/usr/ucb/more;/usr/bin/more;
/DFTXMIT/s/ -z//
/UXMIT/s;^;/*;
/UUNAME/s;/\* ;;
/DOXREFS/s;/\* ;;
/HIDDENNET/s;/\* ;;
/HIDDENNET/s;frooz;littlei;
/MYORG/s=Frobozz Inc., St. Louis=/usr/lib/news/organization=
/DEADTIME/s/45/300/
$a
#define index strchr
#define rindex strrchr
.
EOF
--
Vincent R. Slyngstad
UNIX Evaluation Engineering

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (09/05/87)

In article <149@uvrs.littlei.UUCP> vrs@.UUCP (Vincent R. Slyngstad) writes:
> In article <427@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
> > I am running an Intel 286 box (310/311 if anyone knows the peticulars) and
> > have Xenix R3.4 running currently on it. I just got copies of the news
> > programs (2.10.3) but cannot get them to compile correctly at all. Has
> > anyone created a localize.sh for this peticular configuration (or any
> > configuration close to it)? If so, could you please drop me a line at
> > the bottom address (not the same as the above address)...
>
> Here is the localize.sh that we use on the sources for our
> XENIX box.  The news sources are as they were distributed
> over the net with patches 1 thru 5 applied.
> ---------- cut here -----------
> rm -f Makefile
> cp Makefile.dst Makefile
> chmod u+w Makefile
> ed - Makefile  <<'EOF'
> g/^#USG /s///
> g/ #NOTVMS/s///
> g/^#V7/d
> g/^#BSD/d
> g/^#VMS/d

[ rest of localize.sh deleted to save space ]

Hmm.  I seen several messages passed back and forth on the net lately
on the subject of getting news working on various version of XENIX.

[ By the way: I wish people would remember that there are many different
  Xenix's out there.  IE: sizeof(xenix_universe) != sizeof(xenix_v_286).
  Xenix runs on (gasp!) MC68000's too (and doesn't have those segmentation
  problems there, either)!!  But I digress... ]

Almost everyones Makefile defines USG and undefines V7.  I created the
news software here (Tandy Xenix 3.1.2) by defining V7.  I have my reasons.
For one thing, there is code used by readnews and vnews that looks at
your mailbox, and tells you when you have mail.  This applys to RN, too.
Defining USG tells the code that the system mailbox directory is /usr/mail.
Xenix uses the older (V7) /usr/spool/mail.  So by defining USG, you are
effectively disabling the tell-the-user-(s)he-has-new-mail feature, since
the code will not find your mailbox.  There are other examples, but you
should get the picture.

The point is that even though Xenix is supposed to be SYS3 compatable
(versions 3.x) or SYSV compatable (V/286, V/386), there are many V7
things still there, so take heed!

- paul

By the way (again): Marcos said he was trying to get news 2.10.3 running
on his Intel box, and Vincent sent his localize.sh for news "as distributed
over the net".  Since the only news software ever posted was version 2.11,
I am assumming that Vincent is running ver 2.11 (patchlevel 5, as he
stated), so the localize.sh he sent to Marcos my not work as advertised
(for Marcos, at least!).
--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.

UUCP (smart):  paul@devon.UUCP
UUCP (dumb):   ...{seismo,ihnp4,cbosgd}!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul

vrs@littlei.UUCP (Vincent R. Slyngstad) (09/08/87)

In article <391@devon.UUCP>, paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
> In article <149@uvrs.littlei.UUCP> vrs@.UUCP (Vincent R. Slyngstad) writes:
> > In article <427@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
> > > I am running an Intel 286 box (310/311 if anyone knows the peticulars) and
> > > have Xenix R3.4 running currently on it. I just got copies of the news
> > > programs (2.10.3) but cannot get them to compile correctly at all. Has
> > > anyone created a localize.sh for this peticular configuration (or any
> >
> > Here is the localize.sh that we use on the sources for our
> > XENIX box.  The news sources are as they were distributed
> > over the net with patches 1 thru 5 applied.
[ all of localize.sh deleted to save space ]

> [ By the way: I wish people would remember that there are many different
>   Xenix's out there.  IE: sizeof(xenix_universe) != sizeof(xenix_v_286).
I agree about XENIX versions; the thing that I left unstated was that I
work for Intel and use Intel XENIX 3.4 extensively.  I would have let the
original article pass like all the others, were it not for my familiarity
with exactly the version of XENIX in question, and my knowledge that that
version of XENIX was running news on my box at work.

> By the way (again): Marcos said he was trying to get news 2.10.3 running
> on his Intel box, and Vincent sent his localize.sh for news "as distributed
> over the net".  Since the only news software ever posted was version 2.11,
> I am assumming that Vincent is running ver 2.11 (patchlevel 5, as he
> stated), so the localize.sh he sent to Marcos my not work as advertised
> (for Marcos, at least!).
You are correct; we run 2.11 patch level 5, not 2.10.3 (my mistake).  Some
changes may be required for 2.10.3 news (which I had working, but junked
some time ago in favor of a colleague's 2.11 binaries).  As with any freebie,
you risk getting what you paid for :-).
.
.
.