[comp.unix.xenix] cpio: Microport <-> Xenix

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (09/18/87)

I was recently moving some s/w via floppy from uport to xenix when I got
a rude shock.  Cpio works fine (after you get the device names right) as
long as you only use a single floppy.  Uport cpio handles multiple floppies
fine.  Xenix cpio exits to shell after writing a full floppy or reading in
the first of a multi-volume set.

I know about the xenix backup command, but I like the flexibility of cpio.
Is it possible to read a multi-volume cpio set of floppies on xenix? (I
haven't tried to dd and cat together the files.)  This was xenix V2.2.1.

--
Internet: asp@puck.UUCP				Andy Puchrik
uucp: decvax!necntc!necis!puck!asp		Moonlight Systems

chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (09/20/87)

}
} I know about the xenix backup command, but I like the flexibility of cpio.
} Is it possible to read a multi-volume cpio set of floppies on xenix?
} --
} Internet: asp@puck.UUCP			Andy Puchrik

Why mess with cpio at all?  Tar works on SCO, it's fast, and it's portable
all the way back to Version 7.  If Microport doesn't have `tar', it isn't
UNIX.  :-)

Unless you have huge files, use the `e' option, which prevents splitting of
files across floppies.
--
Chip Salzenberg            UUCP: "uunet!ateng!chip"  or  "chips@usfvax2.UUCP"
A.T. Engineering, Tampa    Fidonet: 137/42    CIS: 73717,366

wietse@eurifb.UUCP (Wietse Venema) (09/20/87)

In article <232@puck.UUCP>, asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
> I was recently moving some s/w via floppy from uport to xenix when I got
> a rude shock.  Cpio works fine (after you get the device names right) as
> long as you only use a single floppy.  Uport cpio handles multiple floppies
> fine.  Xenix cpio exits to shell after writing a full floppy or reading in
> the first of a multi-volume set.

What about reading a multi-volume set with the following Bourne-shell commands:

	while :
	do
		dd if=floppydrive bs=blocksize count=blockcount
		(echo "Mount next floppy"; read ans) >/dev/tty </dev/tty
	done | cpio [options]

Creating a multi-volume set this way is left as an exercise for the reader...

		Wietse Venema	(uucp:	...!mcvax!eutrc3!wswietse)
				(bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5)