[comp.unix.xenix] Non-Xenix alternatives to "Re: MicroPort Customer Support" ??

vix@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Vixie) (09/17/87)

I am recommending a MicroPort SysV + DOSMerge environment for one of my
I have had horrid experiences with every possible variety of Xenix, and I
refuse to buy a sysIII system with SVID tacked on ANYWAY...

Having heard all these stories about MicroPort's installation, I am worried
that there is just NO decent version of Unix(tm) for 386-style machines.
Could some one or ones please tell me...

	* are these problems with the V.2 or V.3 release, or both?
	* does the system work okay once you get it installed?
	* is the AT&T, ISC, or BellTech version just as "bad"?

Send mail, I'll summarize.  Please, nobody flame me for not liking Xenix.
I am not trying to convince anyone else to dislike it, I just don't like it
myself...

--
Paul Vixie
Consultant		Work: 408-562-7798	vix@ubvax.ub.com

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (09/18/87)

In article <2274@ubvax.UUCP>, vix@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Vixie) writes:

> Having heard all these stories about MicroPort's installation, I am worried
> that there is just NO decent version of Unix(tm) for 386-style machines.
> Could some one or ones please tell me...

I have had some problems with Microport support but all in all I think the
author who flamed them was wronged but over generalizing.  I cannot believe
Microport charged him for the disk that it sent blank.  Moreover, that he was
*fool* enough to pay for it!!  There is a 90day warrantee with Microport--
if he was smart he would have threaten to return the whole thing and bought
from Bell Tech.  THey will sell you their port of Interactive's UNIX, or
Microport or SCO Xenix and they have support which I cannot vouch for.

In general, if a phone support person gives you the run around, ask for their
boss.  Don't pay for their mistakes.  Don't flame to the net over an isolated
incident.  Consider this:  how does one hire intelligent, UNIX phone support?
I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it.

People at Microport to ask for by name:

Doug:				good general tech support (others do specific problems)
Henry Seltzer: head of tech support (Doug's boss)
Dwight Leu:		vp engineering (Henry's boss)
Chuck Hickey:	President of Microport (Dwight's boss)

In general, these people are truly interested in their product and their
customers satisfaction--especially new customers with quality control problems.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{seismo}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

rwwetmore@orchid.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <2274@ubvax.UUCP> vix@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Vixie) writes:
>Having heard all these stories about MicroPort's installation, I am worried
>that there is just NO decent version of Unix(tm) for 386-style machines.
>Could some one or ones please tell me...
>
>	* are these problems with the V.2 or V.3 release, or both?
>	* does the system work okay once you get it installed?
>	* is the AT&T, ISC, or BellTech version just as "bad"?

  I have been installing and upgrading MicroPort SV/AT on a clone with
a non-standard drive for well over a year now with none of the problems
in installation which have been posted by a vocal few lately. Put into
proper perspective, most versions of Unix(tm) are decent, and software
support which can be reached 24 hours a day, and deliver upgrades or
replacements within 48 hours, can't be all that bad even when screwing up.

  I don't believe MicroPort is shipping for the 386 yet. However, the 286
version has been pretty stable for a year or so. I have had two disk I/O
write errors bring the system down in the last 9 months, and occasionally
have to zap a hung process. Apart from some idiosyncracies of the system,
this is the limit of random problems. There are some outstanding bugs but
they seem to fall into the categories of 1) difficult to fix critical bugs
but in highly specific areas, 2) oversights in some newly released stuff,
3) things that aren't considered high priority.

  Examples in case 1) supposed to be fixed in 2.3 are the clock runs slow,
some problems with 80287 interrupts, and in case 3) MicroPort has the usual
Unix attitude towards the Fortran compiler. It is a real pain if your work
gets hung up on 1) or 3) problems, however this is a problem with all
vendors, MicroSoft, DEC or IBM have reputations too. There is certainly
room for improvement, but I don't think the case is as hopeless as one
might think from the recent noise.

Ross W. Wetmore                 | rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo          | rwwetmore@math.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1       | {clyde, ihnp4, ubc-vision, utcsri}
(519) 885-1211 ext 3491         |   !watmath!rwwetmore

root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/20/87)

+---- vix@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Vixie) writes in <2274@ubvax.UUCP> ----
| 	* is the AT&T, ISC, or BellTech version just as "bad"?
+----

The "History" of 286 Unix

	AT&T  <--->  iNTEL	* Initial port

	Microport		* Customized for IBM AT

	Bell Tech		* Reseller

The "History" of 386 Unix

     AT&T <---> Interactive	* Initial port

	 /--+--\
	 |    Microport		* Customized for IBM AT
	Bell Tech		* Generic version NOT CUSTOMIZED like uport's
				  (This is the "raw" AT&T/ISC release)

--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (burt janz) (09/21/87)

I have also had cause to speak with uport about their software, and there
are a couple of bugs which are driving me batty.  But, having been a V6,
V7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and now a uport and Sequent (screwy 4.2 kernel) user,
I've seen more problems than you can shake a stick at.

(flame on...)

Who says UNIX has less problems than proprietary operating systems?  Even
VMS (Very Messed-up Syntax) has less bugs than UNIX!

(flame off...)

However, John Sully is also quite sharp on the uport problems, and is quite
willing to help.  And, he IS on the net!

Try sending him mail at ..amdcad!uport!jsully.  I've sent mail on problems,
and have received answers which I have been EXTREMELY pleased at.  I have
also asked for, and received, replacement disks at no cost to myself.  The
option was, let them send it UPS blue at their cost, or overnight at mine.
I waited the extra day.

In short, those who flame on about problems at installation time probably
would flame about having mustard put on their hamburger by mistake.  I don't
know... I think life is too short to flame at a customer support type.  He
didn't send you the original software.

And for those who were silly enough to install uport WITHOUT reading the
update notes, SHAME ON YOU!!!  You were TOLD to back up your boot floppy
first |->.

Burt Janz

eric@sarin.UUCP (Eric Beser sys admin) (09/25/87)

I am running microport unix on this system and have experienced none of the
problems that these vocal few have reported. I had some difficulty getting
uucp to work right, but a few phone calls to tech support, sitting at the
terminal, worked out the difficulty.

I cannot report problem free operation. I still have a few problems
that I am working out slowly. I am about to order 2.3, which will be
the third update for this product.

I do find the guy who answers the phone somewhat hard to talk to. But
a call to Henry Selzer (in charge of customer support) got me to the
right person who knew what they were doing.

In comparison, I have had a lot of problems with microsoft that have never
been resolved, and with Digital Research, which has also never been
resolved. At least, with Microport, the powers to be want to talk to
the end user, AND are interested in what the end user needs. If they
have a quality control problem, THEY need to hear it. Perhaps someone
should send copies of this bad press to them. After all, if you were
walking around with a big piece of spinnach hanging from your teeth
and wern't aware of it, you would probably appreciate SOMEONE telling
you before you made a big jerk of yourself.

Eric Beser
Westinghouse DEC
Baltimore Md.
eric@sarin.uucp