[comp.unix.xenix] MicroPort Customer Support

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (09/15/87)

I received the System 5 software from Microport yesterday, and decided to
install it in the evenining. So far this has been the biggest headache I
have ever had to deal with. I have installed Unix on much larger machines,
so I am not totaly unfamiliar with the concepts of what needs to happen
and in what order, but the Microport installation seemed to me easy to
crash.

Right out of the package, I decided from the beginning to reformat my drive
and make DOS go away forever. I booted System 5 and proceeded through the
steps outlined in their installation process. I tried to use eassyinstall.
This shell script or whatever it is would ask me all of these great questions
about what extra stuff I wanted to install, then it would die. Scratch the
easyinstall.

Next I decided to do it all by hand (which is the way I should have started).
This was after a couple of hours of farting with easyinstall. Ok, I thought
I'll format my disk. It tells me that my drive type is screwed. I get it,
I run with DOS for a couple of years, and now the dirve is fried??? I use
setup to tell me what type it is, type 8, so why is it fried?? Got me. Oh
well, on to fdisk, fdisk says that the drive has 5 cyls and 733 heads (!).
Now I know why the drive is "fried". Where did it get these numbers from
or HOW did it manage to reverse them? Well, enter the right information,

Install the runtime floppy #1 and type installit. Ok, wow, look at those
files... Insert runtime #2 and type installit. ERROR 5: CANNOT READ INPUT.
Wak? Whats this? Ok, take the disk out, spin it in its sleeve, put it
back in and try again. ERROR 5. Take the disk out, spit on it,, draw a
pentegram in the air with it, chant in a low murmer, put it back in and
try again. Ok, use dd to see what is on it. dd:command not found. Ok, boot
dos, use norton to look at it. 1.2M of '\0'. Great. Call Microport for
a floppy. "Your name?" "Your age?" "Your eye collor?" "Ok, step over there
and the next available technician will help you..." So I waited for a
returned phone call. "Hello" "Whas at?" "No Read?" "Whas at?" "Oh" "Type
grep yourmamma /etc/passwd" "Not There?" "Hmmm -- Blank Floppy. Next!"
So what about replacing my floppy? "Twelve dollar" For defective media?
"No, to ship to you." Singing telegram? "No, first fedral united over the
counter under the door freight."

So I wait.

Does anyone else have problems like this with Microport, or am I the
only one with one leg 6" longer from their technicians pulling it.

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.gov
...!cmcl2!lanl!myxm

sl@van-bc.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <10077@beta.UUCP> myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>I received the System 5 software from Microport yesterday, and decided to
>install it in the evenining. So far this has been the biggest headache I
>try again. Ok, use dd to see what is on it. dd:command not found. Ok, boot
>dos, use norton to look at it. 1.2M of '\0'. Great. Call Microport for
>So what about replacing my floppy? "Twelve dollar" For defective media?
>"No, to ship to you." Singing telegram? "No, first fedral united over the
>counter under the door freight."
>Does anyone else have problems like this with Microport, or am I the
>only one with one leg 6" longer from their technicians pulling it.

Bell Technologies must be shipping the same set of disks (was it disk four?).

However once we had figured out what the problem was they shipped a new
diskette out the next day, Federal Express at their expense! They would have
shipped the same day except that they had missed the Fed Ex pickup deadline
by the time they returned my call.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

lee@minnow.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <10077@beta.UUCP> myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>I received the System 5 software from Microport yesterday, and decided to
>install it in the evenining. So far this has been the biggest headache I
>have ever had to deal with. ......

   First, I must agree that this is the most un-user-freindly software I
have ever installed.  This first time I installed it I had the same problem
u did.  The install software had the wrong number of heads and tracks.  Not
having a data sheet handy on my hard disk I didn't question what it said.
(My drive has 5 heads and 925 cyl and it thought it had 5 heads and 1000
 cyl).  After spending a couple of hours fighting with the infamous WN
errors (those of you that have gotten them know what I am talking about)
I finally got the system loaded.  Going on the information it had about
the number of cyls it said I had, I had left 5 meg for dos.  All seemed
fine until I booted up dos and found the format would hang trying to format
the cyls that where not really there. As it turned out there was only
about 900k left for my dos partition. I have more than that on a floppy.
  At this point I had already spent
days getting the microport side tuned the way I wanted it.  Now the only
choice I had was to erase everything and start all over again if wanted more
than 900k in my dos partition.

That is just a sample of the FUN I've had with this product.

Gene W. Lee

--
Gene Lee UUCP: ...ihnp4!{meccts,dayton,rosevax}!ems!minnow!lee
UNISYS Corporation     ATT:  (612) 635-6334

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (09/17/87)

It's amazing how bad Microport customer support has gotten, in such a short
period of time.  When I originally purchased my system, back in December,
they were pretty good.  They had an 800 number to call, the people answering
the phone were fairly intelligent, and they would ship disks free.

If they're going to try to compete they'd better get their act together.
Saving $500 is nice, but it doesn't really matter if the product doesn't work.

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!sdamos,ihnp4!jack!man, hp-sdd!crash, pyramid}!sdeggo!dave

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (09/18/87)

In article <92@sdeggo.UUCP>, dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
>It's amazing how bad Microport customer support has gotten, in such a short
>period of time.  When I originally purchased my system, back in December,
>they were pretty good.  They had an 800 number to call, the people answering
>the phone were fairly intelligent, and they would ship disks free.
>
>If they're going to try to compete they'd better get their act together.
>Saving $500 is nice, but it doesn't really matter if the product doesn't work.

I agree with this, it reflects my own experience exactly. Microport started off
on the right foot, but they have stumbled *badly* and have a lot of amends to
make for recent screwups.

The good news is that they *are* trying hard to do so.

I have some leverage with them because I'm the technical lead on a project that
needs cheap UNIXes in volume. Their marketing guys want my business, badly.

So I called for Chuck Hickey, head honcho there. He called me back, and we had
a long and very candid conversation during which I told him what's going on on
the Net and elsewhere as a result of the bad bugs we've been seeing and the
changes in service policy and availability.

Now, item 1 of the good news is that Chuck Hickey, founder and president of
Microport, is a hacker-type himself. He talked with me about his motivation
for founding Microport. The man really believes in the idea of cheap UNIX for
everybody. This guy is *not* your typical waffling, political-minded
execudroid, people; I think he's willing to listen.

He knows his technical stuff *well*, he was honest and open with me
about all the problems (even to the extent of reading me pieces of a couple
of internal memos harshly critical of the 'new' Microport service policy), and
unless he was a damn good actor, I'd say he taking my criticisms and
suggestions straight to the heart, and intending to act on them.

Here are some of the major points we covered:

1) I think I convinced him that canning the tech 800 number was a major
blunder, an act that sent precisely the worst possible signal about
Microport's intentions. The problem, it seems, was that their support
costs were rising faster than their new-customer income. They didn't realize
how the outside world would interpret the cost-cutting measure of having
the *customer* pay for the chat time.

2) The TSS double-panic bug, the worst one of them all, is believed dead.
The 2.3 kernel version, about to ship, fixes it.

3) I suggested that he designate an official 'speaker-to-USENET' to field
questions and help solve problems. He agreed this was an excellent idea.
Look for John Sulley or someone else from uPort to be much more active
here from now on.

4) The 386 version is believed to be much less buggy. Chuck admitted that
this is because it was a straight 32-bit to 32-bit port, rather than because
his development group had become dramatically more virtuous since the 286
version. The upshot of our technical conversation was that initially porting
UNIX to the 286 isn't really hard, but catching all the bizarre bugs you
get from segmentation and the sudden 16-bitness of everything is a real,
revolving, industrial-strength *bitch* on wheels. *Very* hard. Harder than
I thought. Harder than *they* thought!

5) Better documentation, especially for the installation procedure, is on its
way. Future shipped systems will also include comprehensive service plan
information.

be explicit about its policy of handling charges only for bug-fix upgrades.

Chuck was beginning to realize Microport's changes in service policy and
pricing have righteously pissed off people hooked by the original "low cost +
24-hour service" pitch. His own people have been saying as much, and from his
reactions I think hearing it articulated by a potential major customer (me!)
really got home to him. The man sounded shook.

A good part of their problem, from what he told me, is that they're expanding
so fast that it's hard to for him and others there to step back and get a good
perspective on what's going on and how uPort is coming off to the outside
world. An active USENET liaison will help.

Subsequently I got a call from the chief engineer for the 286 software. We
went over several current "official" and unofficial bug lists. He claims that
about 3/4 of these are now fixed, including all the nastiest, data-losing
ones I mentioned. He also took the time to explain problems in detail,
admitted where they'd screwed up, and owned up when he was puzzled.

So don't give up on Microport yet, guys and gals. Despite recent appearances,
I think they have the right attitude. They're trying hard to dig themselves
out. Whether economics and the limits of their own abilities will prevent
this is another question.

But there are, from my experience, a whole bunch of really bright, motivated,
open-minded people there. I think they can make real-UNIX-for-cheap work if
anybody can.

Naturally, I have no connection with Microport other than as a customer.
--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (09/19/87)

In article <92@sdeggo.UUCP>, dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:

> It's amazing how bad Microport customer support has gotten, in such a short
> period of time.  When I originally purchased my system, back in December,
> they were pretty good.  They had an 800 number to call, the people answering
> the phone were fairly intelligent, and they would ship disks free.
>
> If they're going to try to compete they'd better get their act together.
> Saving $500 is nice, but it doesn't really matter if the product doesn't work.

Since there have been two or three articles complaining about Microport
I thought I would throw my two cents in.

My experience has been generally good.  I started with the 1.3.6 version
and it took about 2 hours from scratch to get the system installed. I
really don't see how it could have taken the two days to get the system
installed that some people have claimed (two days elapsed maybe if you
had to get a replacement disk but two days of actual effort??).  Mind
you I am also domewhat paranoid and never even considered using the easy
install command to do it - I wanted to know exactly what was going on so
I did the manual install.  My only unpleasant experience with the install
was some sort of file system error (can't remember what now) which had
me fixing inodes by hand with fsdb during the first couple of hours -
I would like to emphasize that I had never had to do anything like this
before (on a unix system anyway) and so had to rtfm and guess a bit but
even so it wasn't hard to do.

Installing the 2.2 upgrade was also very easy.  I do think that they
should perhaps improvement the docs relating to installation for the
peace of mind of the faint of heart - but at worst you make a mistake
and just start over again after restoring your backup - what's the big
deal?

While their customer support is not ideal it does seem adequate.  The
people I have talked to seem to know what they (and more importantly, I)
am talking about.  They have also returned my calls at their expense.
When I asked for a copy of the tape device driver they sent it out at their
expense.

Their implementation seems reasonably bug free; I have found the following
bugs irritating but not disastrous:

1. clock runs slow (apparently this has been fixed)
2. system gets "double faults" and hangs every once in a while
   - this has never happened while I have actually been on the
     system doing anything so I can't characterize it; it does
     seem to happen more often now that I have a tape unit on
     the system

This is not to say there are no other bugs but the rest don't particularly
affect me - e.g. apparently the system can't handle 9600 baud serial
connections well, but then I don't have any 9600 baud devices attached so
it is not a problem.

I am not in any way associated with Microport except as a reasonably
satisfied customer.

john

enped@conexch.UUCP (Eric Pederson) (09/20/87)

> It's amazing how bad Microport customer support has gotten, in such a short
> period of time.

Although I think some of the ranting and raving that's been going on around
here is the product of some interesting installation problems (I've installed
3 uport systems on many flavors of systems without hassle), I will have to
agree that the once friendly support at Microport has gone downhill.  They used
to send the update releases (read "bug fixes") for a nominal charge.  Now you
have to have purchased a support agreement, then you can get the updates,
again, for a nominal charge.  Am I alone when I consider this a ripoff?  V/AT
is *not* that mature a product.  Many major things have problems.  Shouldn't
I get what I paid for?  That is "real Sys V" implies "bug free Sys V".

---------
Eric Pederson  714 964 3339 x387
HBUHSD

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (burt janz) (09/25/87)

In article <137@conexch.UUCP>, enped@conexch.UUCP (Eric Pederson) writes:
> to send the update releases (read "bug fixes") for a nominal charge.  Now you
> have to have purchased a support agreement, then you can get the updates,
> again, for a nominal charge.  Am I alone when I consider this a ripoff?  V/AT

And what is so strange about that?  DEC has done it for years, and even when
VMS wasn't a "mature" product (like in V2.1, the first version I used).  And
has done it for RSX, RSTS, and RT.  I can't prove it, but I'd venture that
IBM has the same policy for their operating systems.  ATT doesn't give away
updates for free.  So where's the ripoff?

I've heard a lot about this comment from many others.  I can only answer
by saying that customer support is a very expensive part of any software
company.  I was an employee of the now-defunct Cadmus Computer Company, and
was the senior Software Support Engineer in the Customer Support group. You
wouldn't BELIEVE how many questions I dealt with each day, how many tapes
I shipped, and how many hours I spent on the phone (via modem) fixing
systems.  That type of support costs money, if only for the shipping and
telephone costs!

Not that customer support group should HAVE to be a revenue center, but it
should at least be self-sufficient.  The reason that it never could be rests
in the fact that the company involved could never sell enough product to
pay for support.  Each time you sell one package, you gain the possibility
that one more customer will call.  Multiply that by thousands, and you have
thousands of possible calls that must be answered.  That type of support
can't be handled by anything but a support group.  To add in the cost of the
support group would have increased the cost of Microport UNIX.  I think
that Microport took the right road - charging for support past the 90-day
initial period.

Charging for media, shipping, and answering questions after the standard
90-day period is not unusual.  I've done it before, and I'll do it again,
provided I feel the product is worth keeping.

(I have no involvement with Microport except as a reasonably satisfied
customer.)

Burt Janz
..decvax!bhjat!bhj

jmsully@suprt.UUCP (John M. Sully) (09/30/87)

In article <92@sdeggo.UUCP>, dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:

> It's amazing how bad Microport customer support has gotten, in such a short
> period of time.  When I originally purchased my system, back in December,
> they were pretty good.  They had an 800 number to call, the people answering
> the phone were fairly intelligent, and they would ship disks free.

Although our call load has probably tripled since December, we have only been
able to add 1 person to our support staff, this may be the reason that our
service seems to have gone sour.

When I joined Microport we were just beginning to do a cost analysis of the
support department and it was decided that the 800 support number was costing
the company too much.  In retrospect the decision to drop the 800 number was
a poor one and we are now considering reinstating the 800 number for support.

By the way, we do still ship replacement disks for defective media free,
unless you want it shipped Fed-X (normally we ship UPS Blue).  If you call
and special order a disk, we do charge a 5.00/disk shipping fee, minimum
charge is 15.00.

--
John M. Sully         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!techs
Microport Systems     ARPA: uport!techs@ucscc.UCSC.EDU