[comp.unix.xenix] UNIX

dave@micropen.UUCP (10/01/87)

We are comtemplating abandoning the '286 architecture
for the new '386.  I have contacted my UNIX company
(Microport) about getting an upgrade to '386 UNIX.

Apparently, they don't do upgrades.  "'386 product is
a totally different product", was their saying.)  Now
I grant that they are different products but at least
$50 per runtime and $200 for unlimited user license are
fees payed directly to AT&T.  All I am doing is upgrading
my CPU on the "same" computer.  I find it analogous to
upgrading a 68010 to 68020 on a VME bus or a VAX750 to
a VAX780.  If there is only one computer, how is it that
AT&T can charge twice for the same license?  Or is it
that Microport is playing the upgrade overcharge game?

I honestly have upgraded UNIX CPUs before at other
installations without re-paying AT&T since only the CPU
is involved (same disk, etc.  maybe an upgrade package
to my UNIX vendor but my AT&T I thought was for the
"computer" not for every board in the iron box.)

Does anyone have the definitive word on this?
How many people are running BSD UNIX on the same old v7
license their PDP had?

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) (10/05/87)

In article <382@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>We are comtemplating abandoning the '286 architecture
>for the new '386.  I have contacted my UNIX company
>(Microport) about getting an upgrade to '386 UNIX.
>Apparently, they don't do upgrades.  "'386 product is
>a totally different product", was their saying.)  Now
>--
>David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
>...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

This is *very* interesting.  In a conversation I had some time ago
with one of the sales-types at Microport, I *specifically* asked for
their policy regarding upgrades from 268 to 386 unix, and was assured
that they would upgrade people for the difference in cost between the
two products.  I was also assured that these upgrades could be done
through the dealer who originally sold the 286 version (important to
us, as we sell turnkey systems and like to give our customers full
service).

As of yet, we have had no need to upgrade any of our customers,
principally due to a related problem with Microport -- they seem
unable or unwilling to fill our orders.  This has been going on for
several months, forcing us to switch to software from other vendors.

I hope Microport can get its act together.  Lately they seem intent on
shooting themselves in the foot.

Microport -- I for one would appreciate a definitive answer on this!

We have been successful in communicating with Microport via the net
through the path:  ...rutgers!ames!amdcad!uport!admin!suprt!jmsully
although I am told that   ...!uport!jmsully   works as well.
John Sully is in their tech support group -- I don't know his title,
but I have had good results when communicating with him.

--
Greg Kemnitz              |   amdahl \
K and K Systems           |   ihnp4   !meccts!kksys!gk