[comp.unix.xenix] NEC V30

johnm@auscso.UUCP (10/01/87)

I have noticed a few references to the V30's extra instructions including
80186 code.  Will it really run '186 code?  It would be nice, because I
could compile my local programs under Xenix to take advantage of it.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

gkb@necntc.NEC.COM (Greg Busby) (10/01/87)

In article <407@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>I have noticed a few references to the V30's extra instructions including
>80186 code.  Will it really run '186 code?  It would be nice, because I
>could compile my local programs under Xenix to take advantage of it.
>--
>John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752

This has sparked quite a bit of discussion, and I didn't know the answer
myself off the top of my head, so I tested it out using MASM 4.0 and
NEC's own RA70116, which uses NEC mnemonics and of course can assemble
all the extended instruction set for the V20/30.  After assembling the
80186 mnemonics I converted them over to NEC equivalents and assembled,
and the resulting object code is identical. This means that the V30 can
indeed run 80186 code (and the V20 runs 80188).

Disclaimer:  I work for NEC supporting software development tools for the
V-Series, among other, microprocessors.  Code was written in 80186
mnemonics and then converted using NEC's source converter program.
I should have known this off the top of my head, but now I do.

GKB

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <407@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> I have noticed a few references to the V30's extra instructions including
> 80186 code.  Will it really run '186 code?

Yes, it will.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,ames}!bnrmtv!perkins         --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

hollen@mana.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <407@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>I have noticed a few references to the V30's extra instructions including
>80186 code.  Will it really run '186 code?  It would be nice, because I
>could compile my local programs under Xenix to take advantage of it.
>--

Yes, indeed the V30 will execute 80186 code. It even has some instructions
which extend beyond the 80186 (f'r'instance - execute Z80 code).  I have
a manual for the chip and would be glad to give a reference for how to
get one if any interest.  If you are only interested in 80186 code, no
need for the manual.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!hollen
			{sdcsvax,seismo}!esosun!

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (10/05/87)

In article <2678@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
>In article <407@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
>> I have noticed a few references to the V30's extra instructions including
>> 80186 code.  Will it really run '186 code?
>
>Yes, it will.

The V20 runs 80186 code as well -- at least it runs what Turbo C emits for
80186 code.

Now if only I could upgrade my data buss...