[comp.unix.xenix] Busted Newbury 1140 Fixed Disk

striker@ncoast.UUCP (Robert Forsythe) (10/05/87)

I have just purchased a Newbury (read: Maxtor) 140meg fixed disk, low level
formatted it under DOS and installed it permanently under SCO Xenix V/386.
After installation and mount as the /usr filesystem (/dev/u --> /usr), I ran
a few benchmarks overnight.  In the morning I was treated to a rude surprise,
I was getting repeated "error on fixed disk (minor 64) ... sector=0 cylinder/hd=
0/0".  My god, what the heck is that supposed to mean??!!  Okay, so I shut down
and let the thing cool off (BTW, this is an IBM AT w/ Inboard 386 & 6.5Meg).
When I turn the thing back on, I get a 1790 AND 1781 error!!  I boot Xenix and
I can't even open the raw device to the friggin thing.  Okay, so I must have
munged something somewhere.  I try to redo a low level format and BANG!, I get
errors all over the place.  One public domain ATDIAG program even had the gall
to tell me that my controller may have croaked.  I try it as disk0 (without the
Priam 60M that is my /dev/rroot ---> /), still wild problems abound.

Anyone face this kind of ridiculous cr-p, or am I the only sucker who bought
a Newbury/Maxtor 1140?????  Any suggestions? (I tried cust. support and THEY
say "go to the people you bought it from, we CAN'T help you".  Great, the people
I bought it from are out of business...
(Interesting note: when I boot Xenix and run without mounting (read: trying to
mount) the 1140, it SQUEALS!  Yes, SQUEALS!  It apparently thinks it's disk0 and

mimics the seeks, etc. of the Priam... ) (-more98%- It also seems that the 1140
is causing static interference at a scale large enough to produce "chatter" over
the built in speaker on the AT!  How's that for incredible...?)

Thanks for any help and suggestions in advance - forgive the length of my post.
My reaction is proportional to the money and wasted time spent on this drive.

Robert Forsythe
---
ihnp4!cwruecmp!ncoast!striker

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (10/06/87)

In article <4813@ncoast.UUCP> striker@ncoast.UUCP (Robert Forsythe) writes:

>I have just purchased a Newbury (read: Maxtor) 140meg fixed disk, low level
>formatted it under DOS and installed it permanently under SCO Xenix V/386.
>mimics the seeks, etc. of the Priam... ) (-more98%- It also seems that the 1140
>is causing static interference at a scale large enough to produce "chatter" over
>the built in speaker on the AT!  How's that for incredible...?)

I have a Maxtor 1140 in my AT, which runs "only" a 286, but at 9 1/2 MHz using
a speedup product.  The damned thing is very noisy on head accesses, but I never
hear anything through the speaker.

Before you assume your drive electronics have given out, or your disk controller
has gone south,try the swap-out method of testing.  One note.  Unless you
use an identical drive/controller combination in your testing, you will have to
redo a low-level format each time you move things around.

But there are lots of other potential s for problems:

First try to press on your ribbon cable connections.  Also, take
out something from your AT, since you might simply not have enough power.  The
Maxtor takes about 4+ amps of +12V, and that could affect even the AT's power
supply.

If you know it's the drive, try to call Maxtor service for a repair.  Ask for
customer service.  They are nice folks.

--
Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.COM or ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM (Xerox net)