[comp.unix.xenix] Nroff driver tables format

shocking@nswitgould.OZ (Stephen Hocking cc) (09/14/87)

G'day.

	I am after the file format for nroff printer driving tables. Not
	knowing much about it, I'm wondering if it is the same as the troff
	tables, and if there is a public domain program to prepare the file
	from a user supplied description. I am given to understand that
	there is supposed to be program called "mkterm", but none of the
	systems I've had access to have had it. Please mail responses to me,
	and I'll summarise if anybody is particularly enthusiastic about it.

		Thanks in advance
		Stephen.

		"Standard Witty Disclaimer"
--
UUCP.net:  uunet!munnari!nswitgould.oz!shocking
	   ukc!munnari!nswitgould.oz!shocking

shocking@nswitgould.OZ (Stephen Hocking cc) (09/23/87)

	Sometime ago, I posted a request for information on the above. I was
	swamped with help which was much appreciated, thanks guys and am now
	steaming along OK. Quite a few people offered to send me source to
	the programs that they had written, or had floating about from other
	people, and one person sent it without prompting. To all those
	people who sent requests for help when I got it, I've mailed a copy
	of the program to you. Share & Enjoy. Once again, thanks to all
	those people who helped.

		Stephen

--
		"Lay orf Arfur, 'e doesnt know wot 'es saying"

UUCP.net:  {ukc,uunet}!munnari!nswitgould.oz!shocking
ACS.net:   shocking@nswitgould.oz

irf@kuling.UUCP (Stellan Bergman) (10/01/87)

Until we got our latest release of HP-UX (5.21) I was nroffing merrily with
a nroff table I wrote myself for the Laserjet+ emulating closely what I
would have got had I only had troff.  The HP-UX table was (almost) identical
to all other 7-bit tables published in many places (e.g. in "troff TYPESETTING
FOR UNIX(TM) SYSTEMS", Appendix C, by S.L Emerson and K. Paulsell,
Prentice-Hall, 1987, ISBN 0-13-930959-4 025).  Now, with the new release,
HP has (finally!) introduced 8 bit nroff making it possible to typeset
in other languages than English (e.g. Swedish, which has three more vowels
than English ...) the nroff table format has changed.  nroff -Tlas, where
my old tablas table should be used gives error messages "Floating exceptions"
and then bombs out.

Is there anoone out there who knows how the new 8 bit tables should be written.
I would appreciate answer through any means (Ordinary mail, e-mail, here ...)

Bo Thide, Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 90 Uppsala, Sweden
UUCP: ....enea!kuling!irfu!bt

bruce@bnr-vpa.UUCP (10/07/87)

In article <500@kuling.UUCP> irf@kuling.UUCP (Stellan Bergman) writes:

>Until we got our latest release of HP-UX (5.21) I was nroffing merrily with
>a nroff table I wrote myself...
>... Now, with the new release,
>HP has (finally!) introduced 8 bit nroff making it possible to typeset
>in other languages than English (e.g. Swedish, which has three more vowels
>than English ...) the nroff table format has changed.  nroff -Tlas, where
>my old tablas table should be used gives error messages "Floating exceptions"
>and then bombs out.
>
>Is there anoone out there who knows how the new 8 bit tables should be written.
>I would appreciate answer through any means (Ordinary mail, e-mail, here ...)

	As author of the "table" utility that compiles nroff driver tables
for USG systems that was distributed to the net some time ago, I have been
made aware of the problem that HP-UX (5.2) introduces.  I received a
message from someone at HP who is responsible for maintaining nroff, and
he revealed that difference in the new format is merely the inclusion
of a new integer element in the structures t and t_stor, called Kchar.
It is inserted immediately following the Char element, and apparently
refers to the width of Kanji characters.  As I do not yet have this
HP-UX release, I am unable to test this, but I hope to within a week or
two.  For those of you who can't wait, and want to hack the table program,
try simply modifying the structures to include this new element.
Also, anywhere there appears a "Char" in table.c, elbat.c, or term.h,
copy that line and substitute Kchar for Char.  Good luck.
Apparently, the value of t.Kchar is generally twice that of t.Char, but
I do not yet know how that is used.

	Coincidently, I was in the process of preparing a new version
of the table utility (version 2.0), and I will send it to
comp.sources.unix when it is ready.  It will include provision for
this new format for those systems that use it (is HP-UX the only one?).

	The new version fixes a few problems with both table and elbat,
provides a much better Makefile, and a proper man page.  I have more
closely examined the driver table format, at least those that are
supplied with my machine, and have rewritten table.c so that the
operation: elbat tabfile > tabfile.c (de-compile) ; table tabfile.c
(compile) is an identity operation (at least on my machine for the
tabfiles supplied with HP-UX).  The previous version (1.2) re-compiled
the tabfiles into a different (but I thought equivalent) form;  it
may be that systems that encountered problems with the use of tabfiles
prepared by table may benefit from the new version.

regards,
Bruce Townsend (bnr-vpa!bruce)
--
Bruce Townsend (bnr-vpa!bruce)	Phone:	(613) 726-3008
Bell-Northern Research		Usenet: {utzoo, utcs}!bnr-vpa!bruce