[comp.unix.xenix] Using ctags with Sys V vi?

samperi@dasys1.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) (10/06/87)

Has anyone used the (mostly undocumented) ctags feature with the System V
version of vi? After constructing a tags file with a PD version of ctags,
System V vi often issues the error message 'no such tag in tags file' (or
something like this) when I try to position the current line on a function
(which may be in another source file) with ':ta fname'. Sometimes it
finds the line/file (it seems to depend on the order of the tag definitions),
but more often it fails, even when I know the definition in question IS in
the tags file. I've had no problems using tag files with PC/VI, or a Berkeley
version of vi.
--
	Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, New York, NY
		...!ihnp4!cmcl2!manhat!samperi

irf@kuling.UUCP (Stellan Bergman) (10/08/87)

In article <1559@dasys1.UUCP> samperi@dasys1.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>Has anyone used the (mostly undocumented) ctags feature with the System V
>version of vi? After constructing a tags file with a PD version of ctags,
Yes, I have tried it. We are HP freaks and have only HP-UX (SysV.2).  It
works there.
>System V vi often issues the error message 'no such tag in tags file' (or
>something like this) when I try to position the current line on a function
>(which may be in another source file) with ':ta fname'. Sometimes it
>finds the line/file (it seems to depend on the order of the tag definitions),
Yes, the ordering is important.   The tags must be sorted alphabetically or
you will get your error message.

Bo Thide', Swedish Institute of Space Physics.  UUCP: ...enea!kuling!irfu!bt