[comp.unix.xenix] Query re Micom-Interlan Ethernet Software under 2.2.0 SCO Xenix

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (10/14/87)

Does anyone know if it is now possible to run 2.2.0 xenix and a
Micom-Interlan Ethernet card at the same time?  As near as we've
been able to determine, everybody running Micom-Interlan has
been blocked from upgrading to 2.2.0 xenix due to the existing
2.1.3 driver not being compatible with the new os.  I know we have
talked about this before on the net, but I'm just hoping that
someone has a solution to this problem by now.  Certainly we've
heard nothing from Micom-Interlan about this.

We have great expectations about getting new software for these
boards; we have to reboot the PC's often when they quit talking
to the ethernet.  They do tend to utter pleasing messages such as
    "NP600 unit 0: tcp_pull out of band" and
    "rcpy: protocol screwup. Lost connection."
when they fail.  We have not had any problems restoring service
after these failures; problem goes away with a reboot.  This happens
about 3 times a week.
--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter (703) 689-2800 x 235

billy@cadeta.UUCP (Billy Hinners) (10/15/87)

In article <102@citcom.UUCP> peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is now possible to run 2.2.0 xenix and a
>Micom-Interlan Ethernet card at the same time?

We have been running SCO Xenix 2.2 for the 286 with the Micom-Interlan
board for quite some time without difficulty.  We use Micom's driver
version 1.1.  The only catch was that Micom's installation script tried
to add the drivers to the file /usr/sys/io/lib_io which SCO had changed
in 2.2 to /usr/sys/libio.a.  The simplest way around this is after
installing the software:

	cd /usr/sys/io
	rm lib_io
	ar rv libio.a /usr/interlan/drivers/*.o
	ranlib libio.a

After that, follow the installation procedure as described in the
Micom documentation.  We have not had any problems with this.

Now, if you would like to use the Micom-Interlan board with SCO
Xenix 2.2 and the 32 bit 386 Operating System, you are in for some
real trouble.  Micom does not have a driver for the 32 bit Xenix and
it is a very low priority for them.  We called several times attempting
to find out when or if something might be available, and they said we
are the only ones who have requested it.  So, if this is what you want,
please call them so they will realize they actually have customers who
use their product with 386 Xenix.
--
                                                       Billy Hinners
No warranty is made as to the correctness of the       Autodesk, Inc.