[comp.unix.xenix] Vesta 386/and Unix

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (10/14/87)

	Does anyone have any experience with running unix (either
xenix or sys V.3) on a Vesta 386 box? 	The Vesta purports to be a
$2700 "Compaq 386" clone. The price is certainly right.

	Here is what got me interested in this box. Specs: 1Mbyte
dram, 40 Mbyte ST-261 hard disk, 1.2M floppy, WA-2 fd/hd controller, 1
serial port, 1 parallel port, clock, 200w power supply, 101 key
keyboard, all for the $2700.

	I don't have one of these boxes (yet), but I know someone that
does. He says it works just fine for DOS, for what that's worth.

			-wolfgang
Wolfgang Rupprecht	       UUCP: mirror!mit-mgm!wolfgang
<add us to your host table>    ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/14/87)

In article <1594@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) writes:

|	Does anyone have any experience with running unix (either
|xenix or sys V.3) on a Vesta 386 box? 	The Vesta purports to be a
|$2700 "Compaq 386" clone. The price is certainly right.

My wife is configuring one of these for a customer, and I will be trying
to get ???ix/386 up on it, depending on the time available. I'll post
after I do it. There were notes in the 80386 mailing list from several
people who have this.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

postmaster@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (10/15/87)

In article <1594@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, Wolfgang Rupprecht writes:
> 	Does anyone have any experience with running unix (either
> xenix or sys V.3) on a Vesta 386 box? The Vesta purports to be a
> $2700 "Compaq 386" clone. The price is certainly right.

I have one, running DOS and Microport V/386. I haven't had much chance
to bang on the UNIX yet (I need more of the special 100ns SCRAMS to keep
the kernel from choking) but it's a sweet machine, fast as all-get-out
(at 16Mhz with no wait states it ought to be!). And the Vesta people are
friendly and helpful. I recommend it.

--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/20/87)

Xenix/386 runs.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)