[comp.unix.xenix] cpio for DOS and 3b2 - followup

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (10/23/87)

In article <1755@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>In article <334@houxj.UUCP> wapd@houxj.UUCP (Bill Dietrich) writes:
>>
>>3B2 expects floppy disks, hard disks and cartridge tapes to contain
>>certain OS-dependent or driver-dependent stuff that would make direct
>>transfer of them to/from other systems impossible.
>	I have routinely used cpio on my 3b2/300 with XM unit to
>	transfer files between Altos 586/986 cartridge tapes and
>	floppies, and Microport UNIX floppies using the undocumented
>	96tpi 9 sec format on Microport.

Re: Microport 96 tpi format:

This works, if you only want it to read/write the first 40 tracks.  If not,
you're out of luck.  Also -- it's *not* undocumented, it is documented in
the release notes which come with the system, as well as the limitation on
only using the first 40 tracks.

This became important recently when we wanted to read a SCO Xenix diskette
(720K format) which had files past the first 40 tracks.  Couldn't do it on
Microport.

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8909 (300-1200)