[comp.unix.xenix] Twilight Zone Magic Numbers?

jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) (10/13/87)

In article <1842@gryphon.CTS.COM> greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) writes:
>>>I assume there's an option to cc(1) to increase the amount of heap space.
>The -LARGE switch (not present in all implementations of Xenix) invokes a
>large MODEL pass of the compiler which allows multiple heap segments during
>compilation.

Ok, ok... thinking this was going to solve my problems I summarily tried the
-LARGE flag only to find that "...: /lib/p1L cannot execute".

It was there -- "file /lib/p1L" returned a "separate executable, Large model".

The file had permissions "rwx--x--x" and I was trying to run it as a person
other than root or the owner.  Upon further investigation I found that my
execution request was denied because /lib/p1L was thought to be a shell script!
In fact, NOTHING compiled in the Large Model runs on this box -- it tries to
execute them as shell scripts (and MAN, do you get some wierd errors! :-)

I'm now in this mostly for the academic challenge (I've since gotten access to
a VAX 11/780 that only one other person uses -- nyuck, nyuck) ... I'm very
interested in the concept of porting what I've wrote to all variety of
hardware.

So, if anybody has seen this before, please let me know...

Danke!
--
Jon Boede	...!{gatech,ihnp4,ssbn,swrinde,tness1,utanes}!petro!jrb
512/599-1847        -^^^^^^-           2555 N.E. Loop 410, #1403, 78217

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (10/15/87)

In article <462@petro.UUCP>, jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
> Ok, ok... thinking this was going to solve my problems I summarily tried the
> -LARGE flag only to find that "...: /lib/p1L cannot execute".
>
> It was there -- "file /lib/p1L" returned "separate executable, Large model".
>
> The file had permissions "rwx--x--x" and I was trying to run it as a person
> other than root or the owner.  Upon further investigation I found that my
> execution was denied because /lib/p1L was thought to be a shell script!
> In fact, NOTHING compiled in the Large Model runs on this box -- it tries to
> execute them as shell scripts (and MAN, do you get some wierd errors! :-)

The most probable reason /lib/p1L is not executable and is thought to be
a shell script is due to the SCO serial number authorization. If you look
at the first characters of the file using "od -c", you'll see something
like "this file has not been serialized yet". For this reason, you must
pull these files off using SCO's custom utility, NOT just tar'ing them off
the distribution diskette...

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...ames!harvard!m2c!applix!jim

jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) (10/16/87)

In article <610@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
>Because in article <462@petro.UUCP>, I write:
>> Ok, ok... thinking this was going to solve my problems I summarily tried the
>> -LARGE flag only to find that "...: /lib/p1L cannot execute".
>>
>> It was there -- "file /lib/p1L" returned "separate executable, Large model".
>> [and I go on to say that exec must think it's a shell script]
>
>The most probable reason /lib/p1L is not executable and is thought to be
>a shell script is due to the SCO serial number authorization. If you look
>at the first characters of the file using "od -c", you'll see something
>like "this file has not been serialized yet".

I looked at an "od -c" of it an all I got was binary gobbildy gook, starting
with 006 002.  So I don't think what you describe is the problem.  It's not
just /lib/p1L that won't execute... ANYthing compiled with -Ml gets "executed"
as if it were a shell script.

I should point out that what I'm using is a Tandy 1200 (4.77Mhz 8088(6?)), not
a 3000 (PC AT) as I'd said.  I don't see why that would make any difference;
perhaps it doesn't.

It might be pointed out that the person who has been most helpful in solving my
problems (Hi Greg) also says that this is "pretty weird".  Perhaps one of the
Boys From Santa Cruz would care to comment.

Thanks!
Jon
--

shap@bunker.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <464@petro.UUCP> jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
>In article <610@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
>>Because in article <462@petro.UUCP>, I write:
>>> Ok, ok... thinking this was going to solve my problems I summarily tried the
>>> -LARGE flag only to find that "...: /lib/p1L cannot execute".
>>>
>>> It was there -- "file /lib/p1L" returned "separate executable, Large model".
>I should point out that what I'm using is a Tandy 1200 (4.77Mhz 8088(6?)), not
                                                                 ^^^^
>a 3000 (PC AT) as I'd said.  I don't see why that would make any difference;
>perhaps it doesn't.

I quote (without permission) from the SCO Development system release
notes (v2.1.3)

"This release includes large model passes of the cmerge compiler.
These are invoked using the -LARGE flag with cc.  Only 286 machines can
run the large model passes of the compiler..."