[comp.unix.xenix] Sun & AT&T

lance@kodak.UUCP (dan lance) (10/31/87)

In article <8700197@eta.ETA.COM> lm@eta.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>I'd be careful about sinking money into the 3b sink hole.  I've
>heard rumors that AT&T is thinking about moving to the Sun SPARC
>cpu and I don't know where that leaves 3b users.  There are
>additional rumors that they are looking at a merge of SunOS & 5.3.
>When this all is to happen, if ever, I don't know.
>--
>Larry McVoy	uucp: ...!{uiucuxc, rosevax, meccts, ihnp4!laidbak}!eta!lmcvoy
>		arpa: eta!lmcvoy@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu   or   lm@arizona.edu

I talked to two of our local reps. from Sun yesterday, and they
mentioned both these topics.  Evidently Sun has signed an agreement
with AT&T allowing AT&T to use the Sun SPARC processor in their
products; this agreement was mentioned in a recent article of the
Wall Street Journal.   I have in front of me another WSJ article
(Tuesday, 27 October) which states that Xerox has agreed to utilize
the SPARC CPU and other Sun hardware and software in their office
automation products, including the converged version of SunOS and
AT&T SysV.  The local rep. I talked to stated that Bill Joy was to
head up the team involved in converging the two operation systems.

I don't know how long this will take to achieve, nor where it will
leave 3B series users (or Sun-2 and Sun-3 users, for that matter),
but I don't think that software support for either the 3Bs or the
Sun-3s will dry up in the near future.
=====				--drl
Daniel R. Lance  	  Illegitimati non carborundum.
Eastman Kodak Company	  Purdue University Electrical Engineering
..!rochester!kodak!lance  lanced@ei.ecn.purdue.edu  ..!pur-ee!lanced

stpeters@dawn.steinmetz (Dick St.Peters) (11/02/87)

In article <987@kodak.UUCP> lance@kodak.UUCP (dan lance) writes:
>I don't know how long this will take to achieve, nor where it will
>leave 3B series users (or Sun-2 and Sun-3 users, for that matter),
>but I don't think that software support for either the 3Bs or the
>Sun-3s will dry up in the near future.

Or for the Sun-2's.

Some time after the Sun-2's came out, Sun dropped support for the
Sun-1's we had ("Oh, those were just prototypes."), and there's still
a sentiment in some quarters here that Suns are only worthy of use as
boat anchors.

Sun won't make that mistake again.  They don't seem to make many.
--
Dick St.Peters
GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY