[comp.unix.xenix] Microport Unix V/3

hine@comp.vuw.ac.nz (John Hine) (09/28/87)

We don't have much experience with Microport or similar Unixes on Ats and
clones.  I am considering purchasing a Commodore PC-40 (AT Clone) and have
had Microport Unix V/3 recommended.  I would appreciate any constructive
comments people are willing to give me as to completeness of the port,
reliability of the software, quality of the C compiler, portability of
programs like rn to 16 bit system, etc.

I have one particular problem.  We are being offered a special deal
by Commodore.  A good price on an AT clone with a 20Mb disk.  To get a bigger
disk costs lots more.  (In NZ anyway.)  Is 20Mb enough disk for reasonable
use with Microport?

Please reply by e-mail.  Thanks for the help.

jh
ACSnet: hine@vuwcomp.nz				 Dept. of Computer Science
UUCP: seismo!uunet!!vuwcomp!hine		 Victoria University
PSI Mail: PSI%530147000049::JNET%"HINE@VUWCOMP"	 Private Bag, Wellington, NZ

Mark_G_Woodruff@cup.portal.com (10/16/87)

I'm told the object code for the complete System/VAT package is 17
megabytes (long?).  I wouldn't suggest using it on less than an 8mhz
box with a 70 meg drive.

If you really want to know more, I can ask the people who use it
at work.

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (10/23/87)

In article <971@cup.portal.com> Mark_G_Woodruff@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'm told the object code for the complete System/VAT package is 17
>megabytes (long?).  I wouldn't suggest using it on less than an 8mhz
>box with a 70 meg drive.

Microport Unix V/386 uses 1 Build Disk, 9 Runtime disks, 4 Software
Development system disks, 3 Text Preparation disks, 1 Link Kit disk,
and 1 Unlimited User License kit disk.

If you keep the old kernel around after updating, it takes about 16
megabytes.
--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (10/24/87)

In article <846@qiclab.UUCP> neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) writes:
>In article <971@cup.portal.com> Mark_G_Woodruff@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I'm told the object code for the complete System/VAT package is 17
>>megabytes (long?).  I wouldn't suggest using it on less than an 8mhz
>>box with a 70 meg drive.
>>
>Microport Unix V/386 uses 1 Build Disk, 9 Runtime disks, 4 Software
>Development system disks, 3 Text Preparation disks, 1 Link Kit disk,
>and 1 Unlimited User License kit disk.
>If you keep the old kernel around after updating, it takes about 16
>megabytes.

System V/AT is a bit smaller (only about 10 disks, total), but in any case,
unless you plan to use troff (have a photo-typesetter sitting around?) or
fortran, there's a lot of stuff you can delete to make room on your disk.

I am currently running System V/AT on a 10MHz clone with a 20MB, 85ms
Microscience drive, and I have about 7MB of space left. Of course,
a larger, faster drive would be nice, but it's workable as-is - still
better than working at 1200 baud via modem.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (10/26/87)

In article <971@cup.portal.com>, Mark_G_Woodruff@cup.portal.com writes:
> I'm told the object code for the complete System/VAT package is 17
> megabytes (long?).  I wouldn't suggest using it on less than an 8mhz
> box with a 70 meg drive.

Microport does need about 20Mb disk space as a minimum, but it will work
just fine on a 40Mb drive as a single user system.  If you are going to
have multiple users you do need a 70Mb or better drive.  Also a 10Mhz
box is highly recommended.

--
John M. Sully         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!techs
Microport Systems     ARPA: uport!techs@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com.UUCP (10/27/87)

Wolf Paul writes
->unless you plan to use troff (have a photo-typesetter sitting around?) or
->fortran, there's a lot of stuff you can delete to make room on your disk.
A very minor correction.  The CAT phototypsetter troff drives doesn't even
exist any more, but software does exist to convert CAT codes to run laser
printers.  The only program I have any knowledge of was written for Imagen
printers (Imagen will have it if they haven't got sick of supporting it),
but I wouldn't be suprised if other companies have done this.

Which is not to say you shouldn't use ditroff if you can get it.  (Or a
more modern formatter if you don't have to support a lot of troff documents.)

Isaac Rabinovitch
Disclaimer:  Just because I think you're wrong, doesn't
             mean I don't think you're a fun person!
:-)

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (10/28/87)

There's been some discussion about the size of Microport V.3 in terms of
disk space needed.  For what it's worth, I believe that Microport's
implementation, being of Interactive Systems/AT&T parentage, uses a shared
library for common libc.a functions in most of the utilities.  This ought
to cut down the size of the executable files by (sticking my finger in the
air) perhaps 12k per utility or, to put it another way, by about two
high-density diskettes for the couple of hundred utilities that now come
with UN*X.  Whether disk requirements are in fact reduced is a moot point:
I'm pretty sure that the extra goodies that come along with V.3 --
programmer's tools for making shared libraries, for instance -- will more
than take up any disk space saved by the use of the shared library.

Just a thought...
Dominic Dunlop
domo@riddle.UUCP  domo@sphinx.co.uk

neighorn@catlabs.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (11/03/87)

:Wolf Paul writes
:
:Which is not to say you shouldn't use ditroff if you can get it.  (Or a
:more modern formatter if you don't have to support a lot of troff documents.)

Microport V/386 does not come with the fortran 77 compiler, so you won't
have much to delete in that area. Also, the Text Preparation System (ie
AT&T's Documenter's Workbench) takes about 2.5 megabytes. It contains the
Pipeline Associates Postscript filter, the di10 filter for the Imagen
IMPRINT-10, and the daps filter for the APS-5. The -me and -ms macro
sets are also included, and they seem to work with everything I have tried
so far.

On the subject of fortran, does anyone know of any fortran 77 compilers
available for V/386? I have some graphics stuff I would like to try out,
but alas, its all in f77. I know. I know, rewrite it!
--
Steven C. Neighorn           tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!catlabs!neighorn
Assistant CAT person        "Down with Scan Trons! The era of 'CAT' is here."