[comp.unix.xenix] QNX anyone?

amit@umn-cs.UUCP (10/30/87)

Aside from a self-promoting ad in Byte Mag., I've seen very little
discussion about the QNX operating system. I spoke to these guys
quite extensively, but I would be interested in personal experience.

Would anyone with experience in QNX and either SCO Xenix or uPort
compare them for the rest of us? Issues of interest might be:
- Compatability with Sys V; Stability; Technical support;
- Quality of C compiler, debugger (windows?), runtime environment;
- Hardware support (multifunction, video, disk controller boards)
- Invoking DOS as a task, and running business oriented software.
--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (Thomas F. Blakely) (11/03/87)

In article <2540@umn-cs.UUCP> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>Would anyone with experience in QNX and either SCO Xenix or uPort
>compare them for the rest of us? Issues of interest might be:
>- Compatability with Sys V; Stability; Technical support;
It's not Unix, system V or otherwise.  Libraries are _very_ different
(other than standard i/o functions).  It has more Unix-like utilities
with every release (grep, make, etc.) but still has room for improvement
there.  It's *MUCH* smaller than unix, however.
>- Quality of C compiler, debugger (windows?), runtime environment;
Excellent, but not quite standard C compiler (has "extensions"), limited
to 64K code and 128K data, which is not a practical limitation since
shared libraries are possible (standard library is shared).  Debugger
is primitive at best, machine level only.  Multitasking seems excellent
(ie., no spurious crashes), intertask communications very usable.  Manuals
better than they were, still need work.
>- Hardware support (multifunction, video, disk controller boards)
Supports AST, Quadboard and other clocks.  I was able to write one for the
clock on my turbo XT clone (an obscure one).  Uses any disk controller.
Many are supported with real-time drivers, others use BIOS driver, which
blocks other tasks when accessing disk (not a serious problem most of the
time).  Supports CGA, Mono; I don't know about EGA, others.
>- Invoking DOS as a task, and running business oriented software.
The version of QDOS that I was running would only work on an XT, not on
several clones I tried it with (problems with BIOS hard disk driver).
Quantum claims to have this fixed now,
>--
>  Neta Amit
>  U of Minnesota CSci
>  Arpanet: amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Caveats:  I have not tried the networked versions of QNX.  I have also
not used the 286 protected-mode version (I have run the non-protected
AT version).  Note also that the boot disk is copy protected.  I have been
unable to get QNX to boot from the hard disk, but I didn't try very hard.

Overall, I have been fairly impressed with QNX, but I don't use it much
since there's little 3rd party software available for it.  I've used it
mostly for development with a cross-assembler we wrote, and for a
dedicated pc-based lab controller.  I encountered no serious bugs in either
of these uses.

SDA.
T. Blakely

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (11/04/87)

In article <2030@dcatla.UUCP> ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (Thomas F. Blakely) writes:
>In article <2540@umn-cs.UUCP> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>>Would anyone with experience in QNX .............

	deleted many questions & answers re:QNX
	(generally agreed with responses)

>Overall, I have been fairly impressed with QNX, but I don't use it much
>since there's little 3rd party software available for it.  I've used it
>mostly for development with a cross-assembler we wrote, and for a
>dedicated pc-based lab controller.  I encountered no serious bugs in either
>of these uses.
>
>SDA.
>T. Blakely

I am using the protected mode version of QNX on my AT and an IBM Industrial
PeeCee.  NO problems whatsoever.  I am waiting for some cable to be strung
to complete my little development network, but I have seen several network
implementations, some quite large, and am thoroughly impressed.  All the
resources on the network are (optionally) accessible to everyone on the net,
including CPU's.  I can, for example, off-load a compile on the 10 MHz PC,
instead of using my 6 Megger, and it's totally transparent.

What I wanted to add, is that there are several firms now offering software
to run under QNX.  Databases, (including entity-relational), spreadsheets,
graphics packages, etc.  There is also lots of free stuff available from
Quantam's bulletin board for registered users.

   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"