[comp.unix.xenix] smail 2.5 under uPort/286

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/15/87)

I've compiled smail 2.5 without any trouble, however the silly
thing core dumps with a memory fault. THEN I discover there's
no adb(1) on the system! Has anyone tracked this down and worked
out a fix?

--lyndon  {alberta,pyramid,uwvax}!ncc!lyndon

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (11/15/87)

In article <427@ncc.UUCP>, lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> I've compiled smail 2.5 without any trouble, however the silly
> thing core dumps with a memory fault. THEN I discover there's
> no adb(1) on the system! Has anyone tracked this down and worked
> out a fix?

It dumps core at line 271 in resolve.c if you use the debugging options
in smail 2.5 .  This is because of the variable domainv[step] is passing
a null pointer as a string into printf - This is a bug in smail, but
many Unixes allow this. I sent a message to Microport about adding this
feature and got the reply that it was added to their list. I never bothered
to fix the bug as smail works great without the debugging option used.

BTW, the symbollic debugger under Microport is called 'sdb'.

    -Mike
    {ihnp4, amdahl, rutgers}!meccts!cimcor!mike

root@uwspan.UUCP (John Plocher) (11/16/87)

+---- lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes in <427@ncc.UUCP> ----
| I've compiled smail 2.5 without any trouble, however the silly
| thing core dumps with a memory fault. THEN I discover there's
| no adb(1) on the system!
+----

I'm using smail2.5 (installed on Sept 30, 19:28) and according to the file
timestamps, I didn't modify anything.  I don't know what your problem
is, but sdb works quite well for finding bugs.
  Compile smail with
	CFLAGS = -O -Ml
  and DO NOT USE -lmalloc

-lmalloc has bugs; if you used it then that is your problem.

To find out where the program bombs, add the -g flag to CFLAGS, make, and run
smail.  When it dumps type in
	% sdb smail
	*t
	<stack trace of procedure nestings>
	*q
	%
This will print out a procedure name trace with line numbers.

sdb(1) is (in some ways) better than adb, but gawd, I miss adb too!

 -John

--
Email to unix-at-request@uwspan with questions about the newsgroup unix-at,
otherwise mail to unix-at@uwspan with a Subject containing one of:

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (11/16/87)

Line 271 of resolve.c is a comment in my version.  There is a bug around
line 481 of alias.c that occurs if you use .forward files.  Add a check that
h->string is not null before calling strcmpic.
--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu