[comp.unix.xenix] SCONet

markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (11/15/87)

Has anyone had experience with SCONet? I am particularly interested
in the interface to machines running DOS. In our office, we run
both XENIX and DOS and I am trying to do something to set up
a distributed system where files and perpherials can be shared.

SCONet with the Exelan network hardware seems to be an answer.
Comments?

--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131

miket@ncoast.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <555@wolf.UUCP> markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) writes:
>Has anyone had experience with SCONet? I am particularly interested
>in the interface to machines running DOS. In our office, we run
>both XENIX and DOS and I am trying to do something to set up
>a distributed system where files and perpherials can be shared.
>
>SCONet with the Exelan network hardware seems to be an answer.
>Comments?
I tend not to think that Ethernet is the answer. As far as I can tell
Exelan is running TC/IP not MS-NET. TC/IP is not really supported or is
as useful as MS-MET. Examples: Transparent file control accross all systems
DOS and Xenix, flexible access to all devices on the network. As far as I
know, Excelan only allows file sharing, not device sharing.
Anyway, a cheaper alternative is a Sytek 6120 based system. Cost: HW+SW around
750 for the PC/ HW around 1200 for the server(set up for 8 users)
That compares to around 600 per PC+ 1500for the server under micom Ethernet.
Without question Xenix based server is the answer. A non-dedicated server
with all the tools of Xenix that responds to tweeking (Ram disks/RAM/FPUs),
Something that Novell doesn't have.
(By the way, I have a eval, fully working copy of Xenix-Net for the 286.
I don't need it, as I have a 386/with vp/ix, and I sold my sytek boards.
*On Sale*
Michael Taht