[comp.unix.xenix] Com3: and Com4:

marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (11/21/87)

I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.3 and have two serial ports on my system with an
external modem hanging off of tty1A.  I am considering getting an internal
2400 bps modem since I would like to use tty1A for another terminal (tty2A
is currently in this use as well).  If I get a modem that can be configured
as com3: or com4: in the ms-dos world, can the Xenix tty driver grok it?
Would there be collisions with interrupt usage or something?  If I get a
multi-port card, will that work in adition to the two ports I have now?

Thanks..

Marcus Hall
..!{ihnp4,mcdchg}!illusion!marcus

romwa@utgpu.UUCP (12/01/87)

In article <164@illusion.UUCP>, marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) writes:

> I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.3 and have two serial ports on my system with an
> external modem hanging off of tty1A.  I am considering getting an internal
> 2400 bps modem since I would like to use tty1A for another terminal (tty2A
> is currently in this use as well).  If I get a modem that can be configured
> as com3: or com4: in the ms-dos world, can the Xenix tty driver grok it?
> Would there be collisions with interrupt usage or something?  If I get a
> multi-port card, will that work in adition to the two ports I have now?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Marcus Hall
> ..!{ihnp4,mcdchg}!illusion!marcus

I have never considered using an internal modem on XENIX.  You
immediately lose the flexibility of the serial ports by
getting a modem with a fixed address.  What's wrong with an
external box--they are certainly cheap enough these days.

Unless you know which multiport card you want, there is no way
of knowing if there will be any conflicts with other hardware.
Consensys' multiport card does not use interrupts so it is
unlikely there would be a hardware conflict.  At any rate,
save yourself the worry and get an external modem.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
utgpu!rom!mark