[comp.unix.xenix] Chip's SCO/smail fix works GREAT

raj@spl1.UUCP (Robert Alan Johnson) (12/03/87)

In article <113@ateng.UUCP> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>In article <484@rel.eds.com> bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) writes:
>>
>>Chip Salzenburg (chip@ateng) had an idea to substitute smail for SCO's
>		 ^That's me^
>>execmail.  The first step was to "set execmail" in /usr/lib/mail/mailrc.
>>Then substitute Chip's execmail replacement for the real execmail.
>>He also used SCO's execmail for the local mailer.
>
>Bob omits two other advantages of my solution:
>
>    1.  The standard Xenix aliasing mechanism works, including
>	pipe aliases such as `rnews: |/u/news/uurec'.
>	(I have SENDMAIL undefined, so I have two alias files;
>	Xenix aliases cannot be `@' addresses.)
>
>    2.  Xenix-net (micnet) mail works.  ("machine:user")
>        The `mail.local' program is only for local mail; there is a
>	separate program `mail.cln' for colon addresses.
>        Execmail calls one or the other.

I implemented Chip's fix on my SCO system here and it works very well.

Coincidently, on the day after I installed it here, one of the sites I
feed news to implemented Xenix/386 on a Televideo box and mailed me about
their "smart" mailer going brain damaged!

*WELL*, I just happened to know what to do (a rare event)!

He used the same fix also with fine results.

One of the nicest features of this approach is that solves the problem
*WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING ELSE* viz. the above article!

For those of you now running or contemplating Xenix 286/386 I see that
Chip posted the sources to alt.sources and comp.sys.xenix.  I'd get it!

Thanks Chip!

Bob Johnson
...ihnp4!laidbak!spl1!raj

----- News saved at 3 Dec 87 00:24:28 GMT
In article <113@ateng.UUCP> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>In article <484@rel.eds.com> bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) writes:
>>
>>Chip Salzenburg (chip@ateng) had an idea to substitute smail for SCO's
>		 ^That's me^
>>execmail.  The first step was to "set execmail" in /usr/lib/mail/mailrc.
>>Then substitute Chip's execmail replacement for the real execmail.
>>He also used SCO's execmail for the local mailer.
>
>Bob omits two other advantages of my solution:
>
>    1.  The standard Xenix aliasing mechanism works, including
>	pipe aliases such as `rnews: |/u/news/uurec'.
>	(I have SENDMAIL undefined, so I have two alias files;
>	Xenix aliases cannot be `@' addresses.)
>
>    2.  Xenix-net (micnet) mail works.  ("machine:user")
>        The `mail.local' program is only for local mail; there is a
>	separate program `mail.cln' for colon addresses.
>        Execmail calls one or the other.

I implemented Chip's fix on my SCO system here and it works very well.

Coincidently, on the day after I installed it here, one of the sites I
feed news to implemented Xenix/386 on a Televideo box and mailed me about
their "smart" mailer going brain damaged!

*WELL*, I just happened to know what to do (a rare event)!

He used the same fix also with fine results.

One of the nicest features of this approach is that solves the problem
*WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING ELSE* viz. the above article!

For those of you now running or contemplating Xenix 286/386 I see that
Chip posted the sources to alt.sources and comp.sys.xenix.  I'd get it!

Thanks Chip!

Bob Johnson
...ihnp4!laidbak!spl1!raj

johnm@auscso.UUCP (12/03/87)

I agree, I can even r(eply) to mail now.  Thanks Chip.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550