[comp.unix.xenix] Help requested adding a second Hard Disk

moran@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (William Moran) (11/17/87)

This is a request for help adding a second hard disk. The problem is
this, I have an AT clone with a 42 Mb hard disk; I also got a 20 Mb
drive. What I want to do is use all of the 42 Mb drive for Xenix, and
use almost all of the 20 Mb drive for dos (3.2). The problem is this,
if I set it up this way, Xenix isn't able to find the dos partition if
I select dos. The reason I wish to do things this way is that dos
would lose me a substantial chunk of the larger drive if I install it
there. If someone can offer a suggestion as to how this can be fixed,
I would be extremely grateful. Oh, this is IBM Xenix 2.0 =? MicroSoft
Xenix 3. Thanks.

			  William L. Moran Jr.
moran@{yale.arpa, cs.yale.edu, yalecs.bitnet}  ...{ihnp4!hsi,decvax}!yale!moran

"The English, the English, the English are best. I wouldn't give tuppence
 for all of the rest."		- Flanders and Swan

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (11/21/87)

In article <19013@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, moran@yale.UUCP writes:
> if I set it up this way, Xenix isn't able to find the dos partition if
> I select dos. The reason I wish to do things this way is that dos

> I would be extremely grateful. Oh, this is IBM Xenix 2.0 =? MicroSoft
> Xenix 3. Thanks.

I'll relate the question to SCO Xenix which I believe acts similar to IBM
Xenix.  If I understand your question, I think you are trying to enter
"dos" at the "Boot:" prompt.   If this is the case, Xenix will only boot
to a dos partion that is on the first hard disk, not the second.

If you were refering to your dos utilities, then you need to check the
/etc/default/dos files to ensure the proper settings.

--
Bob Leffler  -  Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus Account
bob@rel.EDS.COM  or  {cbosgd!edstb!edsdrd, mibte!fmsrl7}!rel!bob

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/01/87)

I have had some minor problems getting DOS partitions recognized...
under 2.1.3 if I make the DOS partition smaller than 20MB it will work
with the doscp, etc, utils, but at 32 it won't. It will still boot by
typing dos though. If I move the partition out of the first 32MB it
won't even boot.

No I *can't* upgrade to 2.2.1, my ethernet won't support it, which is
why I have the machine.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (12/05/87)

In article <8015@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
> I have had some minor problems getting DOS partitions recognized...
> under 2.1.3 if I make the DOS partition smaller than 20MB it will work
> with the doscp, etc, utils, but at 32 it won't. It will still boot by
> typing dos though. If I move the partition out of the first 32MB it
> won't even boot.

What version of DOS are you using?  I've seen some pretty strange things
in which some of the OEM versions of DOS handle the disks.  I wouldn't be
surprised if you DOS fdisk program is at fault.

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus Account
bob@rel.eds.com or {rutgers, cbosgd!edstb, philabs!fmsrl7}!rel!bob