[comp.unix.xenix] xenix terminal emulation

mike@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (12/01/87)

I am using an NCR PC8 running Xenix 2.1.3 to talk to other Xenix and
Unix systems. Cu seems to botch up the screen handling horribly when
I do this - scrolling doesn't work right and the arrow keys don't work
at all.

Can anyone help with a solution or explain the problem to me?

--
Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.

don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) (12/05/87)

In article <244@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM> mike@ivory.UUCP (Michael Lodman) writes:
>I am using an NCR PC8 running Xenix 2.1.3 to talk to other Xenix and
>Unix systems. Cu seems to botch up the screen handling horribly when
>I do this - scrolling doesn't work right and the arrow keys don't work
>at all.

we use cu all the time to log onto other systems; it doesn't do _any_
translation of keyboard output or incoming sequences.  (except to
look for "~" escape sequences...)  the only thing that should be
required for full-screen applications running on a remote system to
work correctly is that they understand that you are on a "xenix console";
that is, if they use termcap, the TERM variable should be set to "ansi"
and exported, and there should be such an entry in their termcap file.
(often, logging into a dialup port results in TERM being set to "du"..)

don
--
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
usenet: {ccicpg!imt3b2 | peregrine!imt3b2 | sun!tsunama!tsunami}!seila!don