[comp.unix.xenix] listen up, microport, this is getting serious

jeff@nucleus.UUCP (Jeff Marraccini) (12/06/87)

[ I removed alt.flame from the newsgroups line, since this reply really
	isn't a flame -- but it is LONG (sorry) ]

As quoted from learn@igloo.UUCP:
<learn> In January, when I first ordered from you, I was told there were no
<learn> compatibility problems, and when my package arrived, I found a bug
<learn> report of known bugs, all promised to be fixed. Did the sales person
<learn> I talked to mention any bugs ? Of course not.

Similar situation here. When I talked to Microport's sales people, I was
assured that the system would run reliably. I informed them that I use
9600bps terminals (Tektronix and a Heath H29), still, no problems. I called
Macro Computer Solutions and found the opposite story- bugs by the dozens.
Serial handling was unreliable at best. I ordered anyway, since I needed
SOMETHING to run, and I could not afford SCO Xenix (although I used
to work for a company that owned Xenix and I knew how stable it was).

<learn> In November, I upgraded to 2.3. I skipped the intermediate steps as
<learn> a waste of time and money. Most of us paid for 'upgrades' several
<learn> times. And still, it does not work right.

I still have NOT received my entire 2.3 update package. I called Microport
and was informed that shipments occured last week and I should expect
it early this week. I have a fully paid support contract. It has now been
over 60 days since I ordered it. I understand that Microport has to
ship a couple of thousand of these, but Microport should consider hiring
additional staff or allow dealers to duplicate and distribute updates.

Miscellaneous problems:

1) Even with the 2.3.0-Merge Kernel, serial port handling has not been
	improved. I assume that the 2.3.0 release fails as well. My tests
	with Professional-YAM show that the serial driver begins to drop
	characters at speeds greater than 2400bps. This test was performed
	using two computers, both 12Mhz zero wait states. Repeating the
	test at 6Mhz 1 wait state still showed the same problem. The
	protocol used was Zmodem. Kermit, cu, and UUCP show similar
	problems. Using the Tektronix 4107, 100% of all screen repaints drop
	graphic information at speeds above 2400bps, and occasionally
	the system will crash with a double fault. The situation is
	made worse when both COM1: and COM2: are in use, at any speed.
	BUSINESSES CAN LOSE CRITICAL DATA BECAUSE OF BAD SCREEN REPAINTING.
	THIS IS A CRITICAL PROBLEM.

2) Attempts to move the cursor using the ANSI sequence past 80 columns or
	past the 25 line screen can cause panics, corrupted screen memory,
	or simply hang the system (no error message). Such attempts
	should be discarded. I assume the system is trying to address past
	the video boundary and is failing. Line noise and dropped characters
	(due to prob. #1 above) can cause this situation to happen.

3) 96tpi 9 sector drive access is still broken in 2.3.0. It was scheduled
	to be fixed in 2.3.0. Well, my 2.3.0-Merge kernel still shows the
	problem. 3.5" disk users need this support badly.

4) Manual pages: the manuals are still out of date. Mention of the
	System V.1 Graphics system still exist in the manuals, even though
	this package is not shipped (although I would appreciate having
	the graphics system, I understand AT&T no longer supports it).
	DOS-MERGE is still missing the _Advanced User's Guide_ and manual
	pages (The AUG is critical, since users cannot use DOS-MERGE to
	its full potential without this document). I have sent an inquiry
	to Locus to see if they can supply the manual.

4a) Online Manual pages: Sales didn't know the answer to this one. Will
	online manual pages be offered? They're very useful, especially
	on a public access system such as mine. I notice that SCO is
	offering them with Xenix 386. Based on my previous experience,
	compressed man page sources shouldn't use more than 3 1.2MB disks.
	(and please, ship troff SOURCES, not post-troff files, since graphics
	terminal users with 66 line screens hate 24 line preformatted files).

5) System Vision: Nice, but has some flaws. Does not update UUCP control
	files properly. I understand that it fails to update HoneyDanBer
	UUCP files properly also, but this is untested since I do not
	yet have 2.3.0 HDB UUCP.

6) DOS-MERGE Link Kit: The 1.3.0 release notes say it will be available
	October 1987. Sales wasn't sure when it would be available. I would
	like a firm date, since I would like to replace some of these
	buggy device drivers.

7) fsck blows up large filesystems (> 50MB, it seems). This is another
	critical area. Filesystem check programs should be thorougly
	debugged before release. Again, businesses CANNOT afford to lose
	data because of buggy systems.

8) crash(1m) core dumps or prints invalid information with the 2.3.0-Merge
	Kernel. Perhaps a crash(1m) replacement that supports the 2.3.0-Merge
	internal tables should be shipped with the system.

9) Kernel debugger/profiler: Useless, since without a DOS MERGE link kit,
	it cannot be enabled. I removed the profiler support programs.

10) Libraries: seem good. I assume this is because they are original
	6300Plus libraries. Curses/terminfo programs core dump when
	the terminal type cannot be found.

11) ANSI support. Terminfo entry and console driver are both inadequate.
	Status line on console & virtual consoles often mysteriously
	is enabled, causing data to be lost. Using 'vt100' !? as a terminal
	type seems to help slightly.

Well, that's enough detailed problems. I haven't even scratched the
surface, at least according to the last bug list.

Desirables:

1) More frequent updates until these bug fixes have been completed. A new
	kernel release should be offered to all support contract and update
	contract users after each major bug is fixed. I understand this
	will require additional effort by Microport, but other companies
	have done this and have won considerable respect by their customers.

2) Bug fix notifications and a general bug list should be posted frequently
	to the usenet groups comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport (or
	is it unix-at?), at least every 30 days. Support contract users
	and update policy users should receive printed copies by US Mail.

3) General activity notifications. I haven't heard a peep out of Microport
	since I sent in the $$$ for my update & support contract. A monthly
	newsletter would be nice, including information about product
	enhancements, updates, and new products. Perhaps #2 & #3 could
	be mailed at the same time.

4) Until the screen problems can be fixed, a way to "reset" the console
	driver using a keyboard sequence such as Control-Alt-ScrollLock
	would be useful. This key sequence should clear the screen, reset
	all scroll regions, and set any internal screen driver variables to
	initial values.

I would like to thank Macro Computer Solutions for warning me about the
problems and for helping me get around some of them. Also, J. Sully
in Microport Technical Support has been courteous and provided prompt
answers to my questions. I only wish the rest of Microport was as responsive.

Thank you,

Jeff Marraccini
jeff@nucleus.UUCP (..!ihnp4!chinet!fmsrl7!nucleus!jeff)

 CC: karl@ddsw1.UUCP
 CC: techs@uport.UUCP
 CC: pubnet.talk,comp.unix.xenix
--
   Jeff Marraccini  jeff@nucleus.UUCP   ...!ihnp4!chinet!fmsrl7!nucleus!jeff
           nucleus: Public access Unix, 313/623-6309, 1200/2400bps

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (12/08/87)

In article <168@nucleus.UUCP> jeff@nucleus.UUCP (Jeff Marraccini) writes:
>I still have NOT received my entire 2.3 update package. I called Microport
>and was informed that shipments occured last week and I should expect
>it early this week. I have a fully paid support contract. It has now been
>over 60 days since I ordered it.

I'll top that.  When I was told about the "any day now" release of 2.3
release in early October (and was prodded into a $99 update contract) I
was told that I would receive same in a week.  By UNIX EXPO, when I still
hadn't heard from Uport, I spoke personally with Kristin Allen of Microport
who told me that there were baclogs but that I should receive it "any day
now".  In mid-November, still no 2.3.  A call to Microport yielded another
alibi and "any day now".  At the end of November... the first week of
Decemeber.  It seems that 2.3 will arrive on my doorstep a few days after
whenever I call.

+ Steve Manes         Roxy Recorders, Inc.                 NYC
+ decvax!philabs!cmcl2!hombre!magpie!manes       Magpie BBS: 212-420-0527
+ uunet!iuvax!bsu-cs!zoo-hq!magpie!manes              300/1200/2400