[comp.unix.xenix] directory gets stomped

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/07/87)

The following has happened twice on our system since going to release 2.2.1.
It appears to happen when you run out of either disk space or inodes.
My guess is inodes but I am not sure. Has anyone else seen this?

	The second byte of a filename in the root directory of a file
	system gets stopmed on by a NULL.  For example, the first time
	this happened (on our root filesystem) the entry for lib got
	wiped out bu the i getting stomped with a NULL.  The next time
	this happened (on a mounted file system) the l in dlc got stomped
	on by a NULL.  dlc was the fourth entry in this directory, I
	am not sure but I think lib was the fourth in the root filesystem.

Consider this a request for moral support or a warning to others.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX or 527-3385

sns@genghis.UUCP (Sam Southard) (12/08/87)

In article <861@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> The following has happened twice on our system since going to release 2.2.1.
> It appears to happen when you run out of either disk space or inodes.
> My guess is inodes but I am not sure. Has anyone else seen this?
>
> 	The second byte of a filename in the root directory of a file
> 	system gets stopmed on by a NULL.  For example, the first time
> 	this happened (on our root filesystem) the entry for lib got
> 	wiped out bu the i getting stomped with a NULL.  The next time
> 	this happened (on a mounted file system) the l in dlc got stomped
> 	on by a NULL.  dlc was the fourth entry in this directory, I
> 	am not sure but I think lib was the fourth in the root filesystem.

This has happened to me, too.  In my case it was /usr/b[i\0]n.  It is inode
number 4 as well.  However, I had plenty of inodes and some disk space left
at the time.  I had had my system up for over a year at the time, so I wasn't
too worried since it was easy to fix - I'm not going to worry about having to
adb /dev/usr once in a year.  However, if it happens a lot it might be
something to worry about.

Does anyone know what's going on?

By the way, my version of Xenix is the one IBM puts out as 2.00.
--

Sam Southard, Jr.
{sns@genghis.caltech.edu|sns@genghis.uucp|{backbone}!cit-vax!genghis!sns}