[comp.unix.xenix] nethack 2.2 SCO fix and query

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (12/08/87)

[ Cross posted to comp.sources.bugs and comp.unix.xenix ]

On SCO Xenix, nethack likes to core dump shortly after being started
because of the code in termcap.c ... I can't follow that stuff at
all, it seems quite convoluted, and I've heard other gripes about
it.

Anyway, the fix is to put

#ifdef NAPOK
	nap(50);
#else NAPOK
(all the rest of the code of that function)
#endif NAPOK

and to add "-lx" to the libraries pulled in, which is where the nap()
function lives.

Now for the query: My dog starts out with a null name, but "fight.c"
believes (lines 465-475 approximately) that there is a name there, and
until I name (Call) my dog something, if I walk in to him I see
"You stop to avoid hitting ." A minor nuisance at worst; anyone have
a fix for it?

Kudos to the nethack maintainers, anyhow, as this one compiled and
ran much more smoothly than did version 1.4.

(Further Kudos to Chip who suggested using adbL to debug... :-)

Jay Libove
Arpa:   Jay.Libove@andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: Jay.Libove@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{uunet, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!Jay.Libove
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove

physh@unicom.UUCP (Jon 'Quality in - Quantity out' Foreman) (12/10/87)

In the article by Jay Mathew Libove, he writes:

>My dog starts out with a null name, but "fight.c"
>believes (lines 465-475 approximately) that there is a name there, and
>until I name (Call) my dog something, if I walk in to him I see
>"You stop to avoid hitting ." A minor nuisance at worst; anyone have
>a fix for it?
----
	Here at College of Marin, there is a fictitious (to everyone
except us) dog who lives in our VAX and would "bark" at the console.
Every so often, he would have to go, and since he lived in the memory
controller, his business would cause a "mcr0: soft ecc" warning (it
conducts you see...).  This dogs name was "Foobar".

	So to fix the bug I changed the definition of dogname in
dog.c thus:

char dogname[63] = { "Foobar" };

So now the dog has a default name, which works just fine.
--
{ucbvax,hoptoad}!\                      ~~~~~~~\~~~   That's spelled
{lll-lcc,hplabs}!well!unicom!physh       Jon  }()      "physh" and