[comp.unix.xenix] SCO news

mike@sgistl.SGI.COM (Michael Ashburn) (12/05/87)

I have recently come across a version of news put out by SCO as an
unsupported product. There was mention of it on the net in this news
group a while back. It is said to compile and work beautifully under
SCO 2.2.
PROBLEM: I only have SCO 2.1.3 and the compile blows up with warnings
and an out of heap space error. When adding the -LARGE option to the
cc flag which does away with the heap space problem but then I get the
old error 11 'SEGMENTATION VIOLATION'.
QUESTION: Has anybody been able to get sconews or any other news program
to compile successfully under SCO 2.1.3? If so how? I am currently running
rn but it lacks a few things which I consider a nessecity such as a means to
clear out articles older than a cerain number of days (ala expire), a means
of sending and receiving articles in batch mode and the good old uuencode
and uudecode programs. I understand the latter is in the public domain so
that is not so important.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks - Mike

					Michael Ashburn
mike@sgistl.sgi.com
       or
{ucbvax|sun|ames|pyramid|decwrl|ihnp4}!sgi!sgistl!mike

mike@.UUCP (Michael Ashburn) (12/08/87)

Has anybody been able to get the SCO (unsupported) news to compile on a system
running 2.1.3? It is supposed to be a very good version and supposedly compiles
up error free on 2.2. I have been trying several different compile switches
such as the -LARGE and -SEG to get rid of the 'out of heap space' and the
'segmentation violation' errors that are all to common on 2.1.3 with no luck.
If anyone has any ideas please reply using the address below. I will post any
successful solutions to this group should I get any.

Thanks - Mike

                                                   Michael J. Ashburn
SLACBBS (XBBS) (314) 947-0895
|The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; | M S D O S..........   |
|Fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7  | Just say NO !         |
|____________________________________________________|_______________________|
|  {sun|aims|research|ucbvax|pyramid|decwrl|} sgi!sgistl!slacbbs!{mike|root} |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (12/11/87)

In article <5552@sgistl.SGI.COM>, mike@sgistl.SGI.COM (Michael Ashburn) writes:
> QUESTION: Has anybody been able to get sconews or any other news program
> to compile successfully under SCO 2.1.3? If so how? I am currently running
> Any help would really be appreciated.
> Thanks - Mike

Here is my Makefile for compiling news.  Worked on 2.1.3 and
2.2.x    Good luck

OSTYPE = v7

HOMENAME=

SHELL=/bin/sh

NEWSUSR = news
NEWSGRP = news
SPOOLDIR = /usr/spool/news
BATCHDIR = /usr/spool/batch
LIBDIR = /usr/lib/news
BINDIR = /usr/bin
DESTDIR =
UUXFLAGS = -r

LNRNEWS = ln
DEBUG =
SCCSID = -DSCCSID
DEFS =	-DRNEWS=\"$(BINDIR)/rnews\" -DSPOOLDIR=\"$(SPOOLDIR)\" \
	-DBATCHDIR=\"$(BATCHDIR)\" -DLIBDIR=\"$(LIBDIR)\" \
	-DBINDIR=\"$(BINDIR)\" -DNEWSUSR=\"$(NEWSUSR)\" \
	-DNEWSGRP=\"$(NEWSGRP)\"

# Order is important here
INSCOMPRESS=
COMPRESS= compress

VFORK=-Dvfork=fork

IBMFLAGS = -M2lt8 -F 8000
CFLAGS = ${DEBUG} $(IBMFLAGS) -DUSG -Dindex=strchr -Drindex=strrchr -DDBM -DXENIXLOCK ${SCCSID} ${VFORK}
LFLAGS = ${DEBUG} $(IBMFLAGS)
LIBS = -ldbm -lx
LINTFLAGS = ${DEFS}

TERMLIB = -ltermlib
FIXACTIVE =
| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |