[comp.unix.xenix] *** XENIX on 8086 based Machine ??

ssa@m10ux.UUCP (MHx5859 ) (12/15/87)

	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular

	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

boneill@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Debugger) (12/16/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:

>	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
>
>	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

I would also like to know about using XENIX on an 8086 machine. Mine is an
THE PC+ XT clone, which is 100% compatible with IBM's.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu

"There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute."
				Captain Jean-Luc Picard - ST:TNG "Justice"

michael@macom1.UUCP (John Michael Mullins) (12/17/87)

in article <445@m10ux.UUCP>, ssa@m10ux.UUCP (MHx5859 ) says:
> 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
> 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

SCO has a version that is for the 808[8,6] computes.  I think they
now call it Xenix 86. If you _must_ have it, it is functional, but won't set
any record as far as benchmarks are concerned.  There were rumors at
one time about support for EMS/EEMS.

I have a version from SCO called:

"Xenix Operating System
 version 3.0 release 1.0
 For the IBM Personal Computer XT"

This does work on the AT&T 6300, but I have no idea as to the current
product from SCO.
--
John Michael Mullins
CENTEL Business Information Systems, Inc.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/17/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:

| 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
|
| 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

You can get Xenix for XT, but I don't know if it would run on the 6300.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

alleng@killer.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) (12/17/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:

>	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
>
>	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

Yes!  We have SCO Xenix 2.1.3 for 8086 based machines.  It has been running
on an XT-Turbo (8 Mhz) for about a year.  The computer runs 24 hours a day
(for all intents and purposes) and has been up for the whole time with
exception to a few times down for periodic maintenance.
--
        Allen Gwinn    / email: {ihnp4!decvax!killer}!sulaco!allen
                       \ USPS: P.O. Box 740444, Dallas, TX  75374-0444

butler@stsci.EDU (Lee A. Butler) (12/17/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP>, ssa@m10ux.UUCP (MHx5859 ) writes:
> Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine.  (in particular
> AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

 Contact your AT&T dealer.  SCO Xenix version 2.1.3 is available for the
8088 and 8086 machines.  I seem to recall there being a special version
for the 6300.  I also recently saw an ad offering special prices on it.
As for required hardware, I would STRONGLY recommend at least a 20Mb
hard disk, although you can get by with a 10 if you don't want all the
utilities and applications.  It's slow on the 86, but it *IS* real unix!

--
Lee A. Butler				butler@stsci.arpa | butler@brl.arpa
Space Telescope Science Institute	Usenet: {noao,nrao1}!stsci!butler

spf@whuts.UUCP (FRYSINGER) (12/18/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:
>	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
>	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

I've been running Xenix on a 6300 for about 2 years.  If you load the
whole mess (software tools, text, etc) it needs about 12Meg of hard
disk, but I've been able to store a very servicable subset in 8Meg.
It performs well, even with 2 users.  Oh, I do have 640K RAM.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/18/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:

| 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
|
| 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

Sorry for a 2nd follup to this question, but I just dug out the release
notes for SCO Xenix/286 v2.2.0, and it does list the 6300 as a supported
machine (and no I don't mean 6300+). I think it says that you need a
special version rather than the XT version, but call SCO about that.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (12/18/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP>, ssa@m10ux.UUCP (MHx5859 ) writes:
> 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
> 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

Yes, SCO has Xenix86 which has version available for the IBM XT and the
AT&T 6300.  However, SCO is in the process of dropping the support for
this product.  The release level for Xenix86 is 2.1.3, whereas the Xenix286
product is at 2.2.x.

It need 640k of memory and takes up a little over 9mb of disk.

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus Account
bob@rel.eds.com or {rutgers, cbosgd!edstb, philabs!fmsrl7}!rel!bob

thurm@speedy.WISC.EDU (Matthew J. Thurmaier) (12/18/87)

A company called MEDIA and SOFTWARE has something they call PC/IX that
is supposed to be Unix for XT's and 6300s.  They were at uniforum in
the booth next to us this january.  No number off hand.

I have run XENIX on a XT clone with two users when we started our
company.  If you gotta, you gotta, but it was VERRY SLOOOOOOOOOOW,
especially when one person did a make and another was doing ANYTHING else.

Good Luck To All Brave Enough To Try!

Matthew.
Matthew J. Thurmaier
U of Wisc - Madison, Computer Systems Lab

..!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!matt
matt@rsch.wisc.edu
"why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/19/87)

In article <2129@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu (Debugger) writes:
>In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:
>>	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
>>	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?
>
>I would also like to know about using XENIX on an 8086 machine. Mine is an
>THE PC+ XT clone, which is 100% compatible with IBM's.

SCO sell (or used to sell) a PC Xenix, the release notes are still
shipped with the Xenix 286 and 386 sofware (a good policy that
you know what version you may meet on other systems)

According to the notes it's called Xenix-86XT and runs on:

ARC-XT, AT&T 6300, Compaq portable and DeskPro, Eagle
IBM PC XT, ITT XP, ITT XTRA and lots more.

--
John Pettitt			UUCP   :{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp
Specialix Systems		Domain :jpp%slxsys@pyra.co.uk

hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) (12/19/87)

> >	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
> >
> >	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?
>

> I would also like to know about using XENIX on an 8086 machine. Mine is an
> THE PC+ XT clone, which is 100% compatible with IBM's.

Yes Xenix is available for the AT&T 6300 pc. I ran it for about a
year and a half. I just recently remove it from the 6300 and use my
7300 Unix pc for Unix activities. After trying to get the latest
updates from SCO and failing, I decided that my interest should be
directed toward something from a more reliable source. The 6300 had
(2) hard disk and I could bounce back and forth between Xenix and
MSDOS by just rebooting. The one problem that I had was with the
compilers inability to deal with memory segmentation. I really
thought the so called fix disk they promised me would make the
system easier to deal with. After many calls I was promised the disk
would be shipped. That was about two months ago and it still has'nt
arrived. Meantime I decided that I could no longer recommend the
product for use in my company and reconfigured my system to run
MSDOS only (2 - twenty meg drives). The 7300 has been a real neat
development machine and when users need to run Unix on pc type (286)
machines I now recommend the Microport implementation. I for one
feel that Xenix is just about dead and SCOs' support for it all but
proves my case. Good luck and happy hunting!
--
Signed by: Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
	   Minicomputer Technical Support District

usenet@mpx1.UUCP (The Usenet News Administrator) (12/20/87)

In article <445@m10ux.UUCP>, ssa@m10ux.UUCP (MHx5859 ) writes:

> 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
>
> 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?

(I may be wrong but..)  I read somewhere in my Xenix docs (I have Xenix/286)
that Large model programs can only run on '286 Xenix machines.  This would
be a serous limitation if you expect to port any worthwhile things
like 'vnews','readnews',etc.  Xenix 86 also lacks memory management (because
the 8088/86's don't have it).  If one of your processes goes out of control,
then it could bring the whole system down, not just a core dump. I also
don't think that it can use memory above 640k.

I would highly recommend a 286 card with Xenix/286 if you are serious about
developement/or memory-intensive applications.

--
Erik Murrey                             /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                 / | / /  /____/   |/

wjz@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Zimmerman) (12/24/87)

In article <8228@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <445@m10ux.UUCP> ssa@m10ux.UUCP (52213-Sharooz Salehi-alavi--MHx6969 ) writes:
> |

> | 	Does any versin of Xenix run on a 8086 machine. (in particular
> |
> | 	AT&T 6300).  And if so what are the requirements?
>
> You can get Xenix for XT, but I don't know if it would run on the 6300.
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me
The ordering info to get the AT&T version of SCO Xenix is listed
below:

PEC 1021-005 "XENIX V OS & RUNTIME"

PEC 1021-006 "XENIX DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM"

PEC 1022-114 "XENIX V Text Processing System"
	(basically nroff and troff, etc.)

Bill Zimmerman ihnp4!ihlpf!wjz