[comp.unix.xenix] Change ~ in cu under SCO XENIX

sda@atexrd.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (12/18/87)

I have three SCO XENIX systems that are connected in
series.  From time to time I need to cu from the first
system in the chain to the last.  Getting there is no
problem, the problem comes in issuing '~' command to
the last system.  The first system grabs all the '~'
commands.  In the case of '~.' the connection between the
first and second systems gets dropped, but the cu between
the second and third is still active.  A simple fix would
be to change the command char from '~' on one of the lines.
Such an option is not documented in the man page.  Does
anyone out there know of an undocumented feature that allows
this, or perhaps another way entirely?

Thanks in advance!
--
Steve Ayers, Atex, Inc., A Kodak Company
{sun,ll-xn,genrad,kodak,munsell}!atexrd!sda

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/22/87)

If you want to send a tilde at the beginning of a line through 'cu'
to a remote system, you must type two tildes; the first is stripped
out, the second passed on.

Thus, to disconnect from the cu process between the second and third
systems, all you need do is type
~~.

This behavior is documented in every UNIX manual for cu I have seen, including
the SCO XENIX manual page.  It doesn't leap out at you, however.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (12/24/87)

In article <121@sda.atexrd.UUCP> sda@atexrd.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:
>I have three SCO XENIX systems that are connected in
>series.  From time to time I need to cu from the first
>system in the chain to the last.  Getting there is no
>problem, the problem comes in issuing '~' command to
>the last system.  The first system grabs all the '~'
>commands.  In the case of '~.' the connection between the
>first and second systems gets dropped, but the cu between
>the second and third is still active.  A simple fix would
>be to change the command char from '~' on one of the lines.
>Such an option is not documented in the man page.  Does
>anyone out there know of an undocumented feature that allows
>this, or perhaps another way entirely?

You can pass a '~' through to the second system by typing a double ~~
at the beginning of the the line.  This is documented.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
utgpu!rom!mark