[comp.unix.xenix] Device driver info needed

lawrenc@nvanbc.UUCP (Lawrence Harris) (12/22/87)

I have just installed an Archive FT60 tape system in my PC/AT which is
running IBM XENIX 2.0.  I am investigating sources for a device driver
for this hardware as it only came with PCDOS software.  If anyone can
help me I would appreciate a mail message.

If I can't find something soon I am going to attempt to write one and hope
I don't destroy too much in the process.

Sources to a tape driver would be most appreciated if anyone has some
they can part with.  Otherwise hints on what the drive should do would
also be welcome.  The device driver documentation implies that a tape
driver is somewhere between a block device and a character device but
they don't give an example.

I have currently tried several local sources but they are all very DOS
oriented and I don't think they really understand the problem.  IBM
told me to talk to my hardware dealer even though I bought the O/S from
them directly.

UUCP:  {ihpn4!alberta,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!nvanbc!lawrence
SNAIL: 733 Sylvan Ave., North Vancouver, B.C., Canada, V7R 2E8
PHONE: 1-604-736-9241 (09:00-17:00 PST) 1-604-420-9518 (after 17:00 PST)

sandy@conexch.UUCP (Sandford Zelkovitz) (12/24/87)

In article <512@nvanbc.UUCP>, lawrenc@nvanbc.UUCP (Lawrence Harris) writes:
> I have just installed an Archive FT60 tape system in my PC/AT which is
> running IBM XENIX 2.0.  I am investigating sources for a device driver
> for this hardware as it only came with PCDOS software.  If anyone can
> help me I would appreciate a mail message.

I'm sorry to hear that you are running IBM Xenix 2.0 and NOT SCO Xenix!
You see, SCO includes, in their link-kit, the device driver that you need
as a standard feature!

Consensys Systems sells their device driver. I do not have available their
telephone number; however, they advertise in Unix Review and Unix World.

Sanford Zelkovitz - XBBS 714-828-0288   .........!ihnp4!hermix!alphacm!sandy