[comp.unix.xenix] Looking for a Xenix version of WordPerfect.

lalonde@dalcsug.UUCP (Paul Lalonde) (12/14/87)

Hello,
	I'm looking for a Xenix version of WordPerfect, does anyone know
of such a beast?  I'm running Tandy's flavour of Microsoft Xenix 2.0.
on a Tandy 3000hd.
	I also keep hearing rumours of a product that will allow me
to run MS-DOS applications under Xenix.  Can anyone enlighten me?
		Thanks,
			Paul Lalonde

		UUCP: ...!{seismo | utai | watmath}!dalcs!dalcsug!lalonde
		BITNET: ACSPA27@DALAC

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (12/16/87)

In <234@dalcsug.UUCP> lalonde@dalcsug.UUCP (Paul Lalonde) writes:
>	I'm looking for a Xenix version of WordPerfect, does anyone know
>of such a beast?  I'm running Tandy's flavour of Microsoft Xenix 2.0.
>on a Tandy 3000hd.

WordPerfect Corporation is developing a XENIX version, but it is not an
announced product.  The guy I spoke to over there said it was not a
high priority.  They want to go after the "more popular" environments
first.  I ask you, are there more systems running XENIX, or more NCR
Towers.  Sounds like politics to me, or maybe NCR paid for some of the
development.

One problem I can see in porting WP to UNIX/XENIX is that they rely on
10 function keys with shifted, control, and alt variants.  99% of the
terminals out there just can't do it.  It'll be interesting to see how
they get around this...

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (12/24/87)

In article <3245@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>In <234@dalcsug.UUCP> lalonde@dalcsug.UUCP (Paul Lalonde) writes:
>>	I'm looking for a Xenix version of WordPerfect, does anyone know
>>of such a beast?  I'm running Tandy's flavour of Microsoft Xenix 2.0.
>>on a Tandy 3000hd.
>
>WordPerfect Corporation is developing a XENIX version, but it is not an
>announced product.
>
>One problem I can see in porting WP to UNIX/XENIX is that they rely on
>10 function keys with shifted, control, and alt variants.

While I am anxiously awaiting WordPerfect for XENIX since it is our PC
standard Word Processor, I have had a look at the SMART Word Processor
for XENIX and they have implemented an excellent menu system based
only on the PF keys and the numeric keypad of a VT100.  It is probably
more powerful than a straight function key approach and makes a lot of
sense given the variety of terminals likely to be on a XENIX system.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
utgpu!rom!mark

ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) (12/29/87)

lalonde@dalcsug.UUCP (Paul Lalonde) wrote in article <234@dalcsug.UUCP>:
>	I also keep hearing rumours of a product that will allow me
>to run MS-DOS applications under Xenix.  Can anyone enlighten me?

This is VP/ix which runs under SCO Xenix 386.  It does exactly as you
describe: run MS-DOS progs under Xenix.

I've spent some time looking at it, it is quite an amazing piece of
software.

--
Eric Griswold  (ericg@sco.COM)
"That's no baby.  That's a Mr. Potatohead"