[comp.unix.xenix] SCO XENIX UUX/UUCP undocumented option

erik@mpx1.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (12/24/87)

F.Y.I:
	The very usefull -r option that prevents uucp/uux from
	starting uucico actualy does work on SCO Xenix 2.1.3.
	This undocumented option allows a mail system or usenet
	news system to place requests in the uucp queue, without
	placing the call.

	Another usefull option (again undocumented) is the
	/etc/default/mail option 'spoolonly' which only
	queues uux mail requests, without starting uucico.
	I have used this option as far back as Xenix 3.0 on
	an Altos 586, so I'm sure it is in many Xenix flavors.

--
Erik Murrey                             /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                 / | / /  /____/   |/

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (12/25/87)

In addition to he -r option to uucp and uux which restrains them from calling
out, there is also a useful option which will notify a user at the receiving
site that is the object of a uucp command.  It is the SysVR3 -nUSER_NAME
option to uucp and notifies USER_NAME on the remote system that the file has
arrived there.

Uucico, on the other hand, lacks some functionality.  It dosen't seem to
support \d for delay in the L.sys send/expect sequence nor mutiple days/times
in the time field.  It also fails to try calling out on another modem line
if it is previously unsuccessful.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) (12/29/87)

In article <169@conexch.UUCP>, root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
  [...]
> Uucico, on the other hand, lacks some functionality.  It dosen't seem to
> support \d for delay in the L.sys send/expect sequence nor mutiple days/times
> in the time field.  It also fails to try calling out on another modem line
> if it is previously unsuccessful.

Yeah, and uuxqt loses its lunch if the host field in the U line of the X. file
has more than 9 characters!  Kinda a pain if your news feed comes from a host
calling itself bloom-beacon... (No, you really don't want to know how I ended
up working around this bug.)
----------
gz%entity.com@eddie.mit.edu	  gz@entity.com		{backbone}!spt!gz
Proclaimer: My employer fully agrees with every word I say.

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (12/30/87)

In article <169@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:

>Uucico, on the other hand, lacks some functionality.  It dosen't seem to
>support \d for delay in the L.sys send/expect sequence nor mutiple days/times
>in the time field.  It also fails to try calling out on another modem line
>if it is previously unsuccessful.

Yes, but since \d, \r, \c, etc. are needed by Telebit users, SCO has a uucico
that supports these escapes.  Just ask for a uucico that works with Telebit.

BUT -- I'm not going to bother, since they'll be coming out with HDB UUCP
in 1Q 88 (according to my src's.)

--
Chip Salzenberg                 UUCP: "{codas,uunet}!ateng!chip"
A T Engineering             My employer's opinions are a trade secret.